Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

update on my ds's lump on back

(14 Posts)
kaylasmum Wed 30-Jul-08 20:36:22

I posted on here 3 weeks ago about my ds, and that i'd found a small lump on his back next to his spine. I saw 2 gp's and they both thought it was a lipoma and my ds was referred to the paediatrician. He had his appointment today and i was really hoping that i would be feeling releived, but i'm still feeling very anxious and worried. The consultant did'nt think it was a lipoma but was'nt sure what it was and senus for an x-ray. I asked him if he thought it was serious and he said that he did'nt think so. He also said that if he suspected anything serious then he would be doing things in a different way, not too sure what he meant by that. He also mentioned having an ultrasound scan done, i asked him long would we have to wait for that and he said he did'nt know as it was not urgent.

We have to wait for the x-ray results now and i don't know how i'm going to cope with the waiting. I don't know why they could'nt just tell me today. He also said that we should go back in about 6/8 weeks just to check whether it has grown or not. I'm so scared for him, my kids are my life. I suffer badly from health anxiety and this is really making me so anxious and my thoughts are so irrational at the moment, i could'nt even go into my work tonight because i think i would break down.

Tracey.

Dazy Wed 30-Jul-08 21:18:18

I'm really sorry to hear things haven't got sorted out. It's impossible not to worry, so don't feel bad about that. Keeping yourself busy - even just chatting on here will pass the time more quickly.

How long do you have to wait for the x-ray results?

NorthernLurker Wed 30-Jul-08 21:28:21

Ok - well I can see that this isn't the news you were hoping for but it does sound like quite good news over all. If the consultant thought it was nasty and mysterious he might perhaps have told you that he was going to refer you for an opinion for another doctor, he would have spoken much more definately about the ultrasound and he would have been classing that as urgent and he would most likely have been asking you to come back sooner than 6 to 8 weeks. The x-ray will be reported on tby the radiologist and then your GP will be sent the results, your GP will also be getting a letter from the consultant about the consultation you had today so if you give them a few days to get it typed and sent then you could go and see your GP and get his input. Regarding the wait time for the scan. You can ring then hospital and ask how long the wait is for a routine (horrible word as I know it's anything but) ultrasound. They won't be able to tell you exactly but they should give you a clue. Ask if they do a cancellation list where you can come in at short notice and if they do (they may not - it's a lot to keep track of) then get yourself and all your phone numbers on it. Good Luck smile

kaylasmum Wed 30-Jul-08 21:47:28

Dazy- thanks for your reply, the consultant said that if there is anything to tell me about the x-rays then he will send a letter but if there is nothing then he won't bother, but he said as i was so anxious then he would send a letter either way. I told him not to as that would make me worse, no news is good news in my mind. He did say that if there was anything then he would phone me. He had his x-ray at 12 and i keep hoping that hey would have looked at them a short while after and if there was anything bad to tell me then they would have phoned this afternoon. Maybe just clutching at straws with that thought!

noternlurker - I keep telling myself that if he was really concerned he would have probably sent him for the ultrasound as a matter of urgency there and then. My anxiety is completely taking over and its hard to function properly. I just want to lock myself away on my own until this is all over.

kaylasmum Thu 31-Jul-08 10:25:47

cmotdibbler Thu 31-Jul-08 10:36:05

The xrays will have to wait for a radiologist to have a good look at them, and then the report written up. Often it takes a few days for 'routine' xrays to be read, although of course the radiographers (who actually take them)will flag up anything odd for urgent review.

If he was concerned then the ultrasound would have been done urgently, although they often take a bit more scheduling as that sort of thing has to be done by a radiologist directly.

kaylasmum Thu 31-Jul-08 10:42:39

Hi thanks for your reply, just feeling very on edge at the moment. Waiting for the phone to ring. The consultant did say that the scan is non urgent. I know i should'nt google but can't help myself and i've found a cancer called rhabdomyosarcoma and have convinced myself that this is what my ds has. This is a living hell. My anxiety levels are off the scale at the moment.

NorthernLurker Thu 31-Jul-08 11:14:27

No don't google! The cancer that you have come across is very, very rare. The doctor you saw yesterday said he didn't think it was serious - please just try to focus on that and don't scare yourself with horrors. Can I offer a <<<hug>>>?

LilRedWG Thu 31-Jul-08 11:18:02

If the consultant thought it was anything as serious as cancer he would not be seeing you in six-eight weeks and be sending your DS for a non-urgent scan. I know it is hard, but please do try to hang on to the positive thoughts.

cmotdibbler Thu 31-Jul-08 11:20:28

You can't just sit and wait for the phone - it could be another week at least before you hear anything.

Rhabdo is very rare, and wouldn't normally present like that anyway.

Have you had any help about your anxiety in the past ? Sounds like you need some help with it atm

sagacious Thu 31-Jul-08 11:27:53

Its impossible not to google so although I should be telling you not too its human nature...(I know I was convinced the lump on my back was something equally horrible IT WASN'T)

To echo others if they thought it was serious THEY would look at it immediately.

Its worse for you because its your boy ( my ds had a VERY minor so routine its unbelievable operation when he was 22 months and I was beyond stressed)

Personally I would ring the consultants secretary to "see if there was any update" (sorry any consultants secretarys I know you're very busy) and generally make sure they know to phone me asap with any results.

Big mumsnet awkward pat on the shoulder for you.

kaylasmum Thu 31-Jul-08 11:38:38

thank you all for your kind messages, the consultant did say it would be a couple of days but that he would phone me direct if there was a big problem. I'm on citalopram for depression, been on them for the past 4 years now. Although i don't really think depression is my problem, its this all consuming anxiety. I mentioned to my gp about it and asked him what i could do about it, he told me to "put the brakes on"! if i could do that then i would'nt have a problem. The logical part of my brain can put things in perspective but then i get those awful thoughts flooding my mind and its hard to stop them. I don't think "why me" i think "why not me". I've always been a worrier but since the death of my dad 4 years ago things have become increasingly worse. I don't have anyone to talk to as both my parents are dead and my partner does'nt really understand.

kaylasmum Thu 31-Jul-08 11:39:39

sagacious - can i just ask what the lump on your back turned out to be?

kaylasmum Thu 31-Jul-08 19:58:58

don't want to seem like i'm looking for attention but just wondering if anyone else has had any experience of this and how long people had to wait for x-ray results. I'm just trying to ease my mind a little as i'm so very worried.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now