Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

someone tell me nice things about wisdom teeth extraction under GA

(22 Posts)
gemmiegoatlegs Wed 30-Jul-08 20:34:10

i am going in to have two impacted wisdom teeth out tomorrow at 9 a.m.

How bad does it hurt and how long, realistically, until the bruising/swelling disappears and i am back on my feet.

I respectfully request not to hear from posters who have had to have their jaws broken, or similar!

NormaStanleyFletcher Wed 30-Jul-08 20:36:57

mine was absolutely fine. Not probems at all. Very little swelling

(jeez - for once I am being honest and reassuring!)

princessglitter Wed 30-Jul-08 20:38:35

I had an impacted tooth out under a local (was breastfeeding and didn't want a general). It was sore afterwards, but manageable with painkillers and within a week I felt much much better.

I wouldn't worry - a GA much better than a local - they said how brave I was to have a local!

candyfluff Wed 30-Jul-08 20:40:32

i had 4 impacted wisdoms out under g.a and the best bit was falling into the most peacefull sleep only to wake up after just what felt like seconds later with a face the size of the world!!!!!

girlnextdoor Wed 30-Jul-08 20:40:33

I had 1 out with a local- 6 injections, then 3 stitches in gum.

GA will be a doddle.

Do not take aspirin for pain,as it makes you bleed more.

girlnextdoor Wed 30-Jul-08 20:41:01

I had 1 out with a local- 6 injections, then 3 stitches in gum.

GA will be a doddle.

Do not take aspirin for pain,as it makes you bleed more.

redwino Wed 30-Jul-08 20:41:35

Can't say my experience was that great. I would suggest getting some stronger painkillers than the ones the hospital will give you. Nurofen Plus perhaps. I looked like i had done a round in a boxing ring for about 4 or 5 days. Scared my then one year old DD! It may depend on how badly impacted they are. Hope it goes well!

gemmiegoatlegs Wed 30-Jul-08 20:42:10

it's the GA I'm worried about, as I have had a wisdom tooth out previously under local and it was fine, but one of my bottom teeth is firmly wedged and completely horizontal, there will be slicing and stitching involved.

I had a thyroidectomy a few years ago and felt rough as bull's lugs after the anaesthetic. I was really sick and the nurses wouldn't let me off the high dependency ward until I ate an egg sandwich. Torturers angry

candyfluff Wed 30-Jul-08 20:42:19

hope that didnt scare you it wasnt that bad my head was more sore than my mouth not sure why tho. am sooooooooooooooo gald i had it done no more nasty infections hoo ray!!!!

candyfluff Wed 30-Jul-08 20:44:12

hey thats what they gave me to eat after my op for my wisdoms what a joke i could hardly open my mouth and i was starving but couldnt get it in hehehehe lost lots of weight the week after that

girlnextdoor Wed 30-Jul-08 20:45:15

Could you not opt for a local?

Mine involved cutting out of the bone with a hacksaw- smile- and I drove myself home afterwards and went back to work- teaching- the next day.

redwino Wed 30-Jul-08 20:45:39

I think some people just react badly to GA. I wasn't great after mine. In fact I was sick. I think if you have had a bad reaction before then you may have one again.

RhinestoneCowgirl Wed 30-Jul-08 20:46:03

I wanted GA but they wouldn't do it - had local and some lovely IV sedation as I was petrified.

It was fine tho, had people queueing up to tell me their horror stories. Had a couple of days off work, bit bruised (looked worse than it was) and wasn't chewing much to start with. Felt fine in myself. Jaw was stiff for a while afterwards.

Apparently taking Arnica beforehand can help with swelling.

Hope it goes ok for you tomorrow

gigglewitch Wed 30-Jul-08 20:46:25

had mine out a few months ago. Hey - you get a nice sleep, what more can a knackered mum ask grin
I'm going to sound nuts now, but i'll post it anyway - get some arnica tablets, and take a couple tonight, then as often as you can post-op, which i think is every two hours for two days then reduce it a bit. Seriously I did this and had farrrrrrr less bruising than with any of my previous mouth-op's [oral surgery veteran here]
Hopefully they will provide you with ibuprofen (or get your own) and also codeine, fantastic stuff wink
Mine hurt for a few days and continued to niggle for about two weeks, which i actually expected to be much less but i hear that a couple of weeks of low-grade ache is common with impacted ones.
Just get everyone else to do stuff that involves bending down - that truly kills. But don't worry really, it's not a horrible experience and we have all turned up to tell you so!!
Good luck smile

redwino Wed 30-Jul-08 20:50:10

Feeling guilty at making it sound so horrible! I should mention that I had all 4 out at once so that accounts for my less than enjoyable expeience.
Good luck!

hifi Wed 30-Jul-08 20:54:21

i had a very good french surgeon, had all 4 out a t once, booked a week off work. no bruising at all and had breakfast next day.

princessglitter Wed 30-Jul-08 21:57:06

I had stitches too and it took about an hour to remove. Jaw was a bit stiff afterwards, but it healed beautifully. The stitches I had were dissolvable ones.

Evenstar Wed 30-Jul-08 22:05:30

I had 3 out under general, my face was very swollen and mouth too sore for anything other than soft mush and soup for several days. I had a dreadful infection in my jaw bone due to teeth though so the pain was awful but not as bad as before the op if you see what I mean.

hotbot Wed 30-Jul-08 22:20:51

i ve had both local and ga for 1 ..ga was much better. you will be sore, but its really not too awful 2nd the arnica supporters

gigglewitch Thu 31-Jul-08 21:18:02

how are you today? not too battered i hope.

gemmiegoatlegs Fri 01-Aug-08 10:58:00

i am awful, but a lot better than I was this time yesterday! I am rocking a bulldog look my face is so swollen and I can't see how eating will be possible today. I got some good painkillers and have just been sleeping off the anaesthetic mostly. I was sick, but I think it was more cos I had swallowed a lot of blood. i'm sure I will be right again by the weekend.
Thanks for asking after me!

notcitrus Fri 01-Aug-08 15:45:17

Was going to say something reassuring!
I had 3 wisdoms out under GA, took them 4 hours as it was complex, but once I'd recovered from the anaesthetic and finished throwing up all the blood, I was fine the next day - ate some soggy cereal, and the day after ate a full Christmas dinner!

Just avoid crispy things like toast for a couple weeks, and don't forget the painkillers and antibiotics. Hope you feel much better tomorrow!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now