Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can you clear this up for me??? Can you get chickenpox more than once????

(22 Posts)
Twinkie1 Wed 30-Jul-08 16:24:59

Have just had to pick DS up from nursery as he is covered i spots - the pharmacist and the nursery both say they look like chickenpox but the doctor won't see him today for confirmation!

I thought you couldn't get it twice?

He is fine in himself - getting a bit tired but that is normal and it is very hot outside!

Anyone?

PortAndLemon Wed 30-Jul-08 16:27:38

It's very unusual to get it more than once (so normally you're safe assuming that if you've had it you can't get it again), but it is possible in some cases.

Flier Wed 30-Jul-08 16:28:26

did he have it before very mildly? They do say you can get it only once, but I have heard of people getting i tmore, esp if they've only had it in a mild form.

belgo Wed 30-Jul-08 16:28:27

Yes it's possible to catch it more then once especially if the first time he was under the age of one or if it was a mild case.

TrinityRhino Wed 30-Jul-08 16:28:41

it is very possible to get it more than once

my mother gets it every year (very mildly now)
and gecko has already had it twice

kormachameleon Wed 30-Jul-08 16:30:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

choccypig Wed 30-Jul-08 16:30:39

Could be "Hand Foot and Mouth" which looks just like chicken pox, but is mainly in the aforementioned areas. Or possibly the last Chickenpox, was HFM. I think HFM is related to chickenpox, but generally less serious. Chicken pox is not very serious, except for babies of mothers in early pregnancy. Might be the same for HFM

amner Wed 30-Jul-08 16:30:58

I have had it twice.

The first time was typically all over very spotty at about 4.

The second time I was about 14 and had about half a dozen spots.

Twinkie1 Wed 30-Jul-08 16:31:32

Oh bloody hell - he had it a year ago, he was 2.5yrs - v v badly in fact - this time it doesn't seem so bad but he didn't have the spots yesterday so more may come out today and tonight I suppose!

dairymoo Wed 30-Jul-08 16:32:01

I've had it twice. Both times when I was little - about 5 pox the first time and about 500 the second!! My brother had it twice too, in fact, he gave it to me both times...!!

psychomum5 Wed 30-Jul-08 16:32:02

yes you can.

DD3 and I can get in countless times....

she was born with it, I was vaccinated against it, DD3 has also been vaccinated, and yet bloods have confirmed that neither of us have any immunity to it and so are at risk of catching it each and everytime we come into contact to it.

DD3 has had it lots, but apart from the very first time, it has been a few spots only each time.

Twinkie1 Wed 30-Jul-08 16:32:21

Oh god - the thought of something called hand foot and mouth makes me heave!

PortAndLemon Wed 30-Jul-08 16:35:15

You can think of it as "not belly or back or face" if it helps... (you can sometimes get spots on the genitals with HFM, but it's less usual). It has nothing whatever to do wth Foot & Mouth, by the way -- completely different.

belgo Wed 30-Jul-08 16:37:46

Hand foot and mouth is incredibly common in children (and as P&L says absolutely nothing to do with the cow disease!) - my children have had it on their hands, feet, mouths and bottom, the spots look similar to chicken pox but aren't itchy.

ANother possibility is shingles if the spots are confined to one area.

Or they could just be from another childhood virus.

Twinkie1 Wed 30-Jul-08 17:41:48

He has then on his belly, arms and all over his back - not reached extremities yet though!

Dior Wed 30-Jul-08 17:44:52

Message withdrawn

artichokes Wed 30-Jul-08 17:46:32

I have been diagnosed with it three times. Everytime it was quite severe. Once I was under 5, once aged 8 and once aged 21. I have also had shingles a few times.

Twinkie1 Wed 30-Jul-08 17:50:10

You guys aren't helping - you are supposed to say nooooo - it is probably a reaction to grass pollen or soap powder not go for the record of how many times you have had it yourself - [sob] sad - poor DS and now I am going to be housebound for the next 5 days and he will miss his last day at nursery which he was so excited about, he had a bottle of wine for each of the ladies and a few presents for the kids in his class and we were going to make chocolate cornflake cakes for everyone!

I wonder if they will let him go in just for the day when he is better?

Flier Thu 31-Jul-08 13:00:22

did you find out what it was?

MummyToOneForNow Thu 31-Jul-08 16:25:12

One of my NCT group has had it four times but my understanding is that in general you are immune after getting it once - perhaps some people don't become immune for some reason? I have heard that if you get it very mildly (or very young) you might not have full immunity but that doesn't sound like the case for some of the posters here. Dd had it a month ago and thankfully I seem to be immune as am 32 weeks pregnant and it wouldn't have been fun!

Twinkie1 Thu 31-Jul-08 16:29:09

Yes he has it - not a bad case but he does have it!!! The nurse at the surgery said you can get it twice and it is common and everyone comes in saying 'Oh, it can't be chickenpox he has already had it!' and she says 'Oh yes it is you can get it many times!'

Make sure you have had it Mumtoonefornow - if not you have to have an antibody injection as it can be very serious if you get it when pregnant and are not immune - one of my friends has a friend who has a daughter who is SN through catching CP inutero! Sorry really don't want to worry you!

MummyToOneForNow Thu 31-Jul-08 16:35:41

I definitely had it (quite badly age 11) and have been exposed since without any signs - if I wasn't immune I would have come out in spots by now as dd had it about 5 weeks ago. Should be all clear thankfully!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now