Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Any idea how long the 'shelf life' is of amoxycillin that is made up and in fridge?

(9 Posts)
objectivity Wed 30-Jul-08 13:49:37

I have some and need to take it as I have an interview tomorrow and defo have chest infection but no time for GP appointment.

PinkChick Wed 30-Jul-08 13:50:43

AFAIK it only last a week, the week you were given it as its separate ingredients mixed so once its open it 'go's off'

BuggerTheAnimal Wed 30-Jul-08 13:52:27

one week only.

when DD3 has infections needing antibiotics she normally needs a 2wk course and they always give me one made up, and one to make up, as it only ever lasts a week!

objectivity Wed 30-Jul-08 14:06:34

oh

Pheebe Wed 30-Jul-08 16:52:20

You MUST NOT take it unless you've been prescribed it for THIS infection. You need to take a full course or you run the risk of making the bugs that are causing your infection resistant to it. Once you have completed a course of antibiotics you should take any that are left back to the pharmacy for disposal. Alao you might have a chest infection but how do you know its a bacterial infection? More likelyto be viral which antibiotics are uselss for anyway.

Sorry but you need to see your GP.

Blandmum Wed 30-Jul-08 17:04:46

You should see your GP.

It will not have a massive effect by tomorrow anyway.

and as others say, it could be a viral infection and the antibiotics will do nothing to help and could cause bacteria to be come resistant.

and when you get a course you should take it all

watsthestory Wed 30-Jul-08 17:05:34

Message withdrawn

ummadam Wed 30-Jul-08 17:15:24

Even if it was in-date and the right treatment for your symptoms - why do you have liquid? I extremely rarely prescribe liquid for adults and if it is left over from a child's prescription I would be suprised if there was sufficient for the right dose for you.

if you have symptoms of a chest infection you need to see a doctor.

objectivity Wed 30-Jul-08 19:19:52

I know I know, but I am desperate. It's left over from when I switched antibiotics mid course for tonsillitis a little while ago. I am always prescribed liquid because it is least irritant - I get non stop vomiting from Amoxycillin in tablet form. Am allergic to Penicillin.

I just wanted to do anything I could to possibly stop my 'almost incessant, hacking green vileness producing cough' to make life easier in the interview.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now