Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Glandular fever. Any advice please?

(2 Posts)
deepbreath Wed 30-Jul-08 11:55:39

I've been ill for about 3 weeks. I started off with a sore throat and flu-like symptoms, and I have never had a fever that bad before. 4 days later, I came out in a red rash all over, then ended up in A&E because I had patches of a purple, non-blanching rash as well as the red one. I don't do things by halves!

Blood tests showed my liver is doing strange things, low white cell count and a few other weird things like my blood isn't clotting as it should. I'm still waiting for results from the viral screen they did last week, but they said it is most likely to be glandular fever.

I can feel exactly where my liver and spleen are, and silly things are making me cry (including that Persil ad with the robot). If I try to do anything simple like load the washing machine, I'm so exhausted that I'm flat out for the rest of the day. Fab, isn't it? Just in time for the school hols sad

I know that a few of you have had this recently, so please have you got any tips or advice that might help me?

newforold Wed 30-Jul-08 12:44:45

Plenty of rest, fluids and a decent healthy diet. No alchohol at all.
Ibuprofen for the aches and pains, make sure you sleep when you feel sleepy if you can.
Also, listen to the doctors and don't start doing too much too soon.
I was off work for 2 months with Glandular fever and i should have had longer really.

Best wishes, it's not much fun.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now