Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

DS (2) has had a 102/3 temperature for 3 days now... what would you do?

(32 Posts)
littlelapin Wed 30-Jul-08 09:47:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Pinkveto Wed 30-Jul-08 09:50:14

Needs to be seen in my humble - ears, throat and chest need looking at, may need to do a urine although as a boy less likely to have urine infection.

It's very easy for children to be a bit non specific but actually be harbouring something like a chest infection (a la my LO last week).

And has he been exposed to chicken pox in the last 5 days? Might be the prodrome.

What is 103 in real money?

littlelapin Wed 30-Jul-08 11:25:29

overthemill Wed 30-Jul-08 11:27:25

sponge him down, keep him naked, get some sleep yourself

littlelapin Wed 30-Jul-08 11:39:31

MrsBadger Wed 30-Jul-08 11:46:29

lots of baths/ water play too if he is up for it - not cold ones, but warm water evaporating off skin will help cool him down

could he be brewing handfoot&mouth? We've just had an outbreak at nursery which has suddenly made sense of all the hot grumpy clingers as they came up in blisters...

littlelapin Wed 30-Jul-08 11:47:50

Notyummy Wed 30-Jul-08 11:48:11

LL we had exactly this with dd, and after 2 trips to the GP, it turned out to be a double ear infection...apparently they are hard to diagnose in little ones due to small ears! If you need to go back (took us a week, 2 trips to the GP and eventually a trip to the out of hours emergency care place at the hospital for them to diagnose it!) then it may be worth making sure they check his ears again...just in case smile

FabioThatFirggingCat Wed 30-Jul-08 11:48:26

Oh poor boy.
Temp is pretty high - what is it normally?
If spongeing, use lukewarm, not cold, water.

MrsBadger Wed 30-Jul-08 11:53:42

hf&m

sounds like he's had the temp for too long though

littlelapin Wed 30-Jul-08 12:07:15

FabioThatFirggingCat Wed 30-Jul-08 12:07:27

How is he sleeping? Is he off his food, or being/feeling sick? Does he seem clumsy? Not that 2 year olds are known for their delicate grace, but ykwim.

There's also Slapped cheek/fifth disease which isn't something to shoot (or slap) him for, but mild childhood virussy thing. He seems to be a pink cheeked chap (from profile pics) so if his face has a rash it might be easily disguised by his ruddy cheeks? (apols for referring to his cheeks with bad language, am bad ruddy cat)

FabioThatFirggingCat Wed 30-Jul-08 12:09:34

And you know when you have a fever, and your skin just hurts? That may be why he doesn't want a bath, and is more than usually happy to be nekkid.

littlelapin Wed 30-Jul-08 12:12:57

FabioThatFirggingCat Wed 30-Jul-08 12:21:54

Y'see, despite ears being ok according to gp, I was wondering if twas an ear infection.

I bet you find he has a full set of molars and prodigious wisdom teeth v soon, and your gp will say No no no, you don't a temperature with teething, it says so in my book of If In Doubt Say It's A Virus.

Are you alternating Calpol and Nurofen 2-3 hourly? Hoping from your OP you're not dosing Calpol within 4 hours of Medised - both contain paracetamol, for those who don't ruddy know.

littlelapin Wed 30-Jul-08 12:25:33

littlelapin Wed 30-Jul-08 12:26:10

FabioThatFirggingCat Wed 30-Jul-08 12:33:27

Here I am in my white coat

Say AAAAAAHH.

Notyummy Wed 30-Jul-08 12:34:47

grin

littlelapin Wed 30-Jul-08 12:38:09

LilRedWG Wed 30-Jul-08 12:45:51

Poor little one. I hope he's feeling better soon LL.

rebelmum1 Wed 30-Jul-08 12:47:54

calpol doesn't usually do anything much for a fever i'd just use calprofen, a fever is the bodies natural defences working by raising the body temperature to kill the virus or infection. Unless very high indeed I usually just undress and use tepid water to cool. You might be making last longer by constantly bringing the fever down.

littlelapin Wed 30-Jul-08 15:40:44

littlelapin Thu 31-Jul-08 06:04:49

Shoshe Thu 31-Jul-08 06:12:30

Ll lots of my minddes have has Slap Chhek, sounds just like it, high temps clingy, sleepy but cant sleep, and rash on cheeks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now