Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

MMR...13 months or 15 months? Does it matter?

(12 Posts)
louloubelle Wed 09-Feb-05 17:05:25

I have decided to have the MMR jab for my daughter, and do not wish to start another debate over the pros and cons, whilst respecting everyone else's decision. But I am unsure whether it is okay to leave it til she is 15 months, which is easier for us as far as holidays etc are concerned...I know the official guidance is 13 to 15 months, but would appreciate some sensible MN advice on the timing please. Thanks!

sozie Wed 09-Feb-05 17:24:41

In the ara I live depending on which health authority you fall under the call up varies - my ds should have had his at 15 months whilst my friend's dd was called at 13 months. So in answer to your question I don't think it matters. In fact my ds was nearer 2 yo before he had his as they lost our records and we were never called. Hope that helps.

milge Wed 09-Feb-05 17:29:04

Due to a variety of factors, mine didn't get mmr'd until 19/20m with no ill effects at all.

Flip Wed 09-Feb-05 17:34:10

Ds1 was almost 2 because I put it off and he's being tested for autism. So I really don't think it matters and I don't think it had anything to do with the jab.

louloubelle Wed 09-Feb-05 18:44:42

Thanks for your replies. I know they are concerned about a potential measles outbreak in south London, so I'm trying to decide whether to leave it a little later.

Twiglett Wed 09-Feb-05 18:48:27

I believe Jimjams has always posted that it is better to wait to give the vaccines more chance of taking .. supposdely the earlier they're vaccinated the less chance (or something .. sorry for paraphrasing so badly)

I'm sure she said 18 months

As an aside, I would like to think that nobody would ever use this kind of to start discussing pros and cons issue, I think we'd all accept that you've made the right decision for your child

hercules Wed 09-Feb-05 18:50:49

My surgery dont contact you so I'm leaving mine until dd is 16 months (next week).

janeybops Wed 09-Feb-05 18:59:16

Had both mine done at 12 and half months.

HappyMumof2 Wed 09-Feb-05 19:15:21

Message withdrawn

Aero Wed 09-Feb-05 19:25:41

Message withdrawn

Jimjams Wed 09-Feb-05 19:36:33

15 months is better than 13 in terms of likelihood of it working- although "officially" they are at risk of contacting the diseases for an extra 2 months (very small risk I think).

louloubelle Wed 09-Feb-05 23:30:26

Many thanks for your replies...and Twiglett, I appreciate your comment . Will probably not rush....

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: