Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

can anybody explain the new charging system for orthodontics (children)?

(9 Posts)
overthemill Mon 28-Jul-08 14:19:01

as it seems odd to me and i can't get my head round what we are being told is wrong and how much we have to pay (£2.5 k!!!!)

overthemill Mon 28-Jul-08 18:27:49

bump, please!

overthemill Tue 29-Jul-08 17:39:43

bump bump bump
isn't any body a dentist or similar???

Evenstar Tue 29-Jul-08 23:20:52

I am not sure about the details, two of my DC's have already had NHS treatment, but I did read in the paper some time ago that they have made it harder to get treatment, in effect only the very worst cases will qualify on the NHS in future. My third DC does potentially need treatment, but I haven't discussed it with anyone recently since the changes came in, the article I saw did suggest that the cost would be in the region of £2.5-3,000. I certainly can't afford it so I am just keeping my fingers crossed for my youngest.

mrsmike Tue 29-Jul-08 23:39:45

My 2 oldest sons are having treatment currently - orthodontist says they grade their teeth according to how badly they need treatment - if you are in grade 1 - 3 you must pay on a sliding scale, but grades 4 and 5 are deemed so bad that the treatment is free. Luckily (well in a way it's lucky) they are a 4 and a 5 so I don't have to fork out any money. Apart from the few hundred pounds I've already had to spend each time they lose or break the braces, very exasperating but not as bad as having to pay in the first place!

Quattrocento Tue 29-Jul-08 23:51:21

Yes we've been told that DD qualifies for treatment on the NHS (joy unconfined) because her teeth are so bad. There is a scale and there are various tests, but am not a dentist so once I'd registered the good news I didn't listen any more.

windygalestoday Tue 29-Jul-08 23:55:21

my poor ds has such bad orthodontic probs hes being treated at the university dental hospital.

Loshad Tue 29-Jul-08 23:55:34

ds1 gets his treatment totally free, but yes a friend said her dentist had told her her dd wasn't severe enough to qualify for free treatment so she would have to pay, however if she waited until the new finacial year she would be in the right grade to have free treatment hmm shock

overthemill Wed 30-Jul-08 09:16:17

this makes sense, a bit,

we've been told by dss mum that he's a 3 but will be a 5 if she deosnt have the treatment now BUT that it will be untreatable if she leaves it until he's a 5.

this seems a complete swizz to me

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now