Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Definitve answer for how long a child is contagious with chicken pox please? Everyone seems to have a different opinion, even Drs? (or should that be especially Drs?)

(9 Posts)
dandycandyjellybean Mon 28-Jul-08 13:40:48

Anyone?

CaptainKarvol Mon 28-Jul-08 13:44:14

until all the spots have crusted over. No more blisters, just scabs. IMO.

Seeline Mon 28-Jul-08 13:47:01

Yes - I'm with CK, no more blisters.

dandycandyjellybean Mon 28-Jul-08 13:47:03

thanks CaptainKarvol, anyone else?

AnAngelWithin Mon 28-Jul-08 13:48:09

when the last spot has dried and scabbed over.

Seona1973 Mon 28-Jul-08 13:49:18

normally when all spots have scabbed over which is 5-7 days after the first spots appear - but I have also heard that after 5 days they wont pass on chicken pox regardless of the state of the spots/scabbing. Cant remember where I read that though.

Seona1973 Mon 28-Jul-08 13:50:46

from nhs direct:

You are infectious from about two days before the rash appears until roughly five days after. Therefore, you, or your child, should stay at home until all of the blisters have fully crusted over, and this usually happens 5-7 days after the first blister appears. After the last blister has burst and crusted over, you are no longer infectious.

dandycandyjellybean Mon 28-Jul-08 13:58:43

oh, thanks, there seems to be more of a concencus than I thought. Cheer lovelies.

ummadam Mon 28-Jul-08 14:25:10

From the health protection agency

Chickenpox -
Recommended period to be kept
away from school, nursery, or
childminders - 5 days from onset of rash

very useful document - HPA Guidance on Infection Control in Schools and other Child Care Settings

http://www.hpa.org.uk/web/HPAwebFile/HPAweb_C/1194947358374

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now