Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I have adhesions

(11 Posts)
itati Mon 28-Jul-08 13:06:10

Will they cause any problems?

All urine and blood tests were fine. Didn't seem concerned about mid cycle bleeding (smear ok) or the fact that my last 2 cycles have been longer.

Felt tummy, diagnosed adhesions. They can be quite painful but it is a short sharp pain so not a pain killer taking pain.

SubRosa Mon 28-Jul-08 14:19:10

What has caused the adhesions, is it endometriosis, or surgery? If they're not already causing major problems, you should be ok. I've got bowel/uterus adhesions after having surgery, they don't hurt very often, but when they do, I have to curl up on the floor.

Did you see the GP, or gynaecologist? I was wondering how they diagnosed adhesions, by feeling your tummy. I thought they had to do a scan for that, correct me if I'm wrong.

fledtoscotland Mon 28-Jul-08 14:28:07

same as subrosa - i used to work in colorectal surgery and was under the impression that adhesions could only be diagnosed by surgery or some scans. who provided this diagnosis?

I have probable adhesions from abdominal surgery but they have never been confirmed. Mine cause excruciating pain that make me double over and feel sick.

AttilaTheMeerkat Mon 28-Jul-08 16:25:00

I would also enquire as to who exactly made the adhesions diagnosis. I thought too that these are usually diagnosed surgically.

Have you ever had any previous abdominal surgery; sometimes this causes adhesions to form post op. Another cause is endometriosis (which is not diagnosed through either blood tests or ultrasound scans).

Hulababy Mon 28-Jul-08 16:28:52

Where are the adhesions exactly? And what has the doctor said will happen next?

I have recently had treatment for adhesions to the uterus - known as Asherman's Syndrome, caused by my c section.

itati Mon 28-Jul-08 16:34:13

I had a section and had it redone 15 months later. My womb had attached itself to the stomach wall too.

I saw a GP and he felt my tummy. I vaguely remember being told before adhesions were causing the pain.

GP didn't tell me anything about what would happen and no appointment to see him again. He agreed my body was battered from having 3 babies close together.

Hulababy Mon 28-Jul-08 16:43:09

My C section caused my adhesions. I had the all over the top of my uterus. Since DD's birth I had very short or non-existent periods, accompanied by a lot of pain, and sufferung from infertility too. The pain was casuing me to have to take time off work most months.

I finally found a GP who took it seriously in June 06 and she referred my to a consultant at the gynae hospital. I saw him first 10 weeks later, and then again in November 2006. He diagnosed Asherman's Syndrome. I had internal scans and blood tests.

Then, after a long NHS wait(!), I had my first hysteroscopy and the removal of about half the adhesions at the end of August 2007, and the second one at the end of November. Each was followed by 7 week's worth of hormone treatment to rebuild the cervical lining.It was a long old haul through it all, especially the hormone stuff - ended up with 17 weeks of work!

But I am now pain free, although still havign very light periods. No idea re the fertility issues. All tests are clear and just started Clomid. But if you have 3 children already this aspect of it may not be an issue anyway.

itati Mon 28-Jul-08 16:54:30

It isn't bad enough for surgery and I couldn't manage that anyway tbh.

No more children planned so not an issue for us.

Would have liked to have known what was causing the break through bleeding and the longer cycles though.

Hulababy Mon 28-Jul-08 16:56:19

The adhesins may be near the entrance to the uterus and aprtially blocking it. This could cause your periods to appear to last longer if it is harder to get out. Does that make sense?

Not sure about the mid cycle bleeding. As I said before I had very little bleeding at all, and went well over a year with no bleeding at all. I did used to get mid cycle pain though.

itati Mon 28-Jul-08 17:07:48

They are lasting the same, it was the cycle that is longer - 4 days late for last 2 months.

Hulababy Mon 28-Jul-08 17:09:10

Agin, could be same reason. Adhesions getting in the way and preventing the blood flow, so takes longer to get out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now