Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Children & Prescription Glasses- Can anyone answer this burning question???

(16 Posts)
tiredemma Mon 28-Jul-08 12:33:37

Ds2 has very poor eyesight, he had his first pair of glasses around april/may time. I have already had to take them back to Specsavers on more than one occasion to have the arms straightened as he has bent them etc, but last friday at holiday club, he took them off to go on the merrygo round and another child trod and them and snapped them.

He has an apt tonight at specsavers for a replacement pair, but im unsure whether these, like his original pair will be free or whether I will have to pay for them.

Anyone know anything about this? His NHS prescription is from the Opthalmic dept at the Hospital, im confused what the set up is.

Any advice appreciated

tiredemma Mon 28-Jul-08 12:42:07

anyone?

Apt is at 5pm- hoping that I dont need to take my chequebook along!

DelGirl Mon 28-Jul-08 12:45:15

They will be free smile. When dd had hers, I had to take them back about 4 times as they were broken or bent and they sorted them. Thankfully we haven't had to go back again for a while.

DelGirl Mon 28-Jul-08 12:46:33

I didn't have an appt btw, we just went in and they klookked up her script and replaCED THEM oops.

DelGirl Mon 28-Jul-08 12:47:03

I don't have my glases on hence the errors lol

tiredemma Mon 28-Jul-08 12:48:37

grin

Lovely- thanks!

Seona1973 Mon 28-Jul-08 13:52:04

we have always had free replacements. Sometimes we have had to pay extra to get them thinned though.

Blandmum Mon 28-Jul-08 13:56:23

God, we get replacements all the time. In fact last time they had to fix two (dd's prescription sunglasses which I pay for as well as her free pair) at the same time

tiredemma Mon 28-Jul-08 13:59:25

Oh thanks so much.

The rationale part of my brain told me that we wouldnt have to keep forking out, but the neurotic part told me that I would spend the next few years buying glasses every 4 months.

Ds2 looks very odd now without his glasses, we have all got used to him in them!

TigerFeet Mon 28-Jul-08 14:07:16

DD has three pairs atm - all free. There is a fourth pair that are beyond econimic repair.

She got the first pair last year when first dx'ed

The second pair Vision Express made for us when we went back to get the first pair unbent so that we had a spare pair

She then mangled one pair so we got a replacement

She then mangled another pair and got a replacement but dh managed to unmangle them so they are wearable in case of emergency.

We do spend a lot of time in Vision Express getting frames unbent - generally we are there twice a month but that is to get two pairs unbent otherwise it'd be weekly [sigh]

Blandmum Mon 28-Jul-08 14:17:31

dd has broken, flattened, ripped the arms off, and torn asunder every pair of glasses she has ever owned. God knows how she does it. She once tore the arm off one pair walking down the hallway! She managed to get the arm trapped in a tiny hole in her brother's jacket, carried on walking and ripped the arm off.

The optician shudder when he sees us coming, I swear he does!

TigerFeet Mon 28-Jul-08 14:28:27

lol MB

Our have that "I'm smiling because I have to because I am a Customer Services person" fixed grin whenever we walk in.

I smile beatifically on the way out and say cheerily "See you next week"

They probably hate me grin

candyfluff Mon 28-Jul-08 20:06:06

my daughter has been wearing glasses for 5 years and hadnt had any repairs done then recently she had to have them fixed twice in one month and specsavers were very rude to her saying she should be more carefull!!! wtf is there problem they dont have to pay for them and neither did i?????????????

slightlycrumpled Mon 28-Jul-08 21:09:33

The correct procedure is two repair/ replacement vouchers per prescription, ie; between sight tests.

Simple repairs like screws or nose pads and straightening don't need to be claimed for, and really should be done without any raised eyebrows from the opticians.

Technically once the two repair vouchers have been used the repair should be paid for, unless special arrangements are made by the NHS.

It is a nightmare though, my seven year old gets through glasses quicker than he gets through shoes!

tiredemma Tue 29-Jul-08 08:00:39

Well, we went to the opticians yesterday- no questions asked, they changed his glasses and I have to go and collect them today. They had some newer styles in and so DS2 chose a pair with 'Mr Bump' from the Mr men on them.

Very apt I thought seeing as he is always banging into things and wrecking his glasses.

Thanks for all your info

slightlycrumpled Tue 29-Jul-08 08:20:36

That's good. Hope he likes his new glasses. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now