Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Rash due to unknown allergy.....we ^think^ !

(26 Posts)
handlemecarefully Wed 09-Feb-05 10:12:47

Ailing baby ds (0.9) who is always ill, now has a rash....(an itchy red blotchy rash)

He does have sensitive skin - even the labels in the back of clothing cause irritation....

Anyway, I noticed this rash last Thursday but it settled down later that same day ...i.e redness wore off and he was left with bumpy skin that looked like permanent goose pimples.

However last night it flared up and became red and angry looking. Dh took him to doctors today (yes Dh - how amazing is that!) since I had an early meeting.

Outcome is doctor doesn't really know what's causing it. Thinks its an allergic response but could have been caused by anything!! Has given us some cream to soothe his skin. Has suggested that it might be because we live in a very hard water area.

Ds is otherwise well (well despite his residual ear infection that is!).

Have any of you experienced anything like this with your kids? Did you work out what was causing it?

I was wondering about washing powder and clothes conditioner - are there any non-allergic ones available? (is the term 'hypo allergenic? - I don't know!)

Sorry, I am rambling now!

misdee Wed 09-Feb-05 10:25:31

try switching to surcare washing powder/fabric conditioner.

is your ds scratching it at all? sometimes eczema can be bumpy and dry.

TracyK Wed 09-Feb-05 10:29:11

is it all over the body or localised? my ds has a rash for a while - but it was only on his hands, forearms, feet, shins and ears. but it wasn't itchy - just looked like nettle rash or heat spot type thingies.

handlemecarefully Wed 09-Feb-05 11:03:12

Yes he is scratching. It is on his legs, arms, tummy, back and face. Not feet or hands.

Doctor didn't mention eczema - do you think he missed this?

misdee Wed 09-Feb-05 11:05:05

some gp's dont realise the eczema can be bumpy rather than scaley/dry. and doesnt always occur in the creases (atopic eczema). what has gp given you for the rash?

Bagpuss30 Wed 09-Feb-05 11:11:08

My dd has this atm. Caused by me changing to a kids shampoo from a baby one a few weeks ago. TBH I have just left it alone, unless it is actually causing loads of itching in which case I use some diprobase cream. I also use Avent shampoo and body wash when she has a bath.

DS had this as a baby too and I found that using too many lotions and potions (prescribed by GP) actually made it worse.

Snugs Wed 09-Feb-05 11:21:15

Another possibility is post-viral eurticaria (sp?)

My DS1 gets a rash like this every time he has a cold, tummy bug, ear infection etc.

handlemecarefully Wed 09-Feb-05 12:04:14

Misdee I'm not quite sure what cream the GP has given because I haven't seen it yet (dh took ds to the docs this morning, and then took ds onto Nursery directly afterwards since he isn't unwell as such...I'm at work today)

Ds could fit all of these! - i.e. perhaps the eczema (I guess time will tell), certainly could be the shampoo because I used some L'oreal kids shampoo on dd recently and then used it on ds too.
But also could be the post viral thing that Snugs mentioned, because heaven knows he has had enough viral infections recently (gastroenteritis a fortnight ago, and recovering from ear infection now).

I guess I'll buy the surcare stuff and switch back to baby bath products, and see what happens

handlemecarefully Wed 09-Feb-05 12:04:31

Meant to say thanks for your suggestions

Bagpuss30 Wed 09-Feb-05 12:44:50

HMC, the Loreal Kids shampoo was the exact same one we used too!!

handlemecarefully Wed 09-Feb-05 12:46:23

Blimey - there's a coincidence!!! - was it in a pinky red bottle and strawberry scented?

misdee Wed 09-Feb-05 13:10:57

my kids reacted to that one. they have to have the yellow one with pineapple i think it is.

Bagpuss30 Wed 09-Feb-05 13:20:52

Mine was the pineapple one but I also used the detangling spray afterwards. DS was fine with it but dd has still got the horrid rash .

muminlondon Wed 09-Feb-05 13:44:50

My dd had an angry rash last week which lasted 4 days and the hospital A&E thought it was a viral rash rather than an allergy. This started a couple of days after she finished a course of antibiotics for an ear infection but she had lots of other symptoms of a virus. It was frustrating not knowing at first what had caused it.

But the shampoo thing is interesting. I get the impression that there are more allergies to the products and medicines we use than to food. I'd be tempted not to use any soap or shampoo for a while and see what happens.

handlemecarefully Wed 09-Feb-05 14:15:41

Yes, and I might just also cut down on his baths to perhaps once a week....in case its drying out his skin a bit.

Cranberry Wed 09-Feb-05 14:40:03

Mum son Eurticaria really bad a couple of summers ago. I can attach a picture so you can see if your ds rash looks the same.

Could someone tell me how I do that

handlemecarefully Wed 09-Feb-05 14:46:06

That would be really helpful Cranberry - if someone can tell you how to attach a picture. I might ask Tech and get back to this thread with an answer.

I've just thought of something else. We took ds swimming on Sunday. Perhaps that contributed...

handlemecarefully Wed 09-Feb-05 21:15:06

Ds' rash is much worse tonight. Red raw and warm to the touch. He has been scratching it all day and the skin is broken and bleeding in places...

I'm hoping it's one off urticaria rather than eczema...but then I am allergic to cats, house mites and grass pollen so there is a family history of allergies (if not eczema)

Cranberry - you could always CAT me and then I could give you my email address and then you could send the photo as an attachment to the email. But don't go to loads of trouble. Not a problem if you don't get the chance to do this.

misdee Wed 09-Feb-05 21:16:30

have u got any anti histime handy? liquid piriton should be ok to give at this age, will calm the itch and help the poor boy sleep.

WigWamBam Wed 09-Feb-05 21:30:25

You mention that he has an ear infection - is he on antibiotics? Could it be an allergy to penicillin?

handlemecarefully Thu 10-Feb-05 19:43:40

Thanks Misdee, I saw your message this morning and got him some.

He was on antibiotics WWB, and on doctors advice we stopped these in case it was the amoxycillin

bobbybob Thu 10-Feb-05 20:12:37

Sounded like an antibiotic rash to me too. Try giving some probitics to restore some good gut bacteria, this should help the rash too.

Try bathing in oats and salt to calm the rash, and no products at all (not even green, organic, natural type ones). Babies don't need shampoo, at least they can get away with it for a couple of weeks while everything settles down.

It annoys me that doctors don't link a rash with antibiotics, even though it's a common reation. Hard water would have been way down my list.

handlemecarefully Thu 10-Feb-05 22:48:19

I'll certainly try the probiotics Bobbybob, however jury is still out on the antibiotics thing. His rash predated taking the antiobiotics by a couple of days - however it was a very mild rash before his antibiotics and got much redder and angrier only recently (after his antibiotics) which may or may not have been coincidence???

I'm still wondering if he might have got sensitised over time to washing powder...so I have bought some Surcare today and washed his clothes in it to see if that helps.

handlemecarefully Sat 19-Feb-05 22:48:33

Thanks to everyone who advised on this.

Quick update - ds still had 'rash' 11 days later so went back to the GP (yesterday)who this time concluded eczema. Have been given balmain (?) medicated oil for his bath and told to wash him with acqueous cream, and also given some hydrocortisone cream apply.

HunkerMunker Sat 19-Feb-05 22:56:39

Can you try Aveeno, HMC? It's had good reports on here - I keep meaning to get some for myself as I have eczema.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now