Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

ok how the hell do yoyu cut the nails of a one year old toddler

(17 Posts)
bumbly Mon 28-Jul-08 11:10:40

..who is always cranky, bossy and simply won't let you touch his fingers

getting exacerbated trying to cut his nails

end up doing worse job and then he scratches himself with badly cut nails

ANY TIPS MOST WELCOME

EffiePerine Mon 28-Jul-08 11:11:03

wait till they are asleep

bumbly Mon 28-Jul-08 11:11:52

really???

Twitmonster Mon 28-Jul-08 11:11:53

Try waiting until he's asleep, really annoying but needs must.

nailpolish Mon 28-Jul-08 11:13:00

use an emery board or nibble them

easier if they are sleeping

soremummy Mon 28-Jul-08 11:15:25

Only ever cut when sleeping

VinegarTits Mon 28-Jul-08 11:15:53

my ds hated getting his nails cut, now he quite enjoys it but i have no idea why, i must have done something right along the way but can't remember

I suggest maybe give him a biscuit or piece of his favorite fruit to eat in one hand while your cutting the other, good luck!

penona Mon 28-Jul-08 11:17:00

You could also try in the car (obv not if you are driving!) even better asleep in the car! My friend did this with her 18 mth old (I was usually passenger with chopping duty...)

I either do it when I have help, someone holds the hand and child, I cut the nails, or I just do one nail every time I can!

bellabelly Mon 28-Jul-08 11:17:11

With my nearly-12 month old twins, one is a dream to do and the other is a nightmare and wriggles and cries.

I sit him on my lap facing away from me and hold him with my arm over one of his shoulders which sort of keeps his free hand squashed down while I hold his other hand in mine. With my other hand, I trim his nails. He still protests but it is the quickest and least hassly way I've found of doing it and as soon as it's over, he's all smiles again, even though it feels a bit mean while I'm doing it.

I also count down in a loud and demented jolly voice how many fingernails are left to do but think this is for my benefit rather than his really.

VinegarTits Mon 28-Jul-08 11:18:48

Oh i remember i would get him on my knee and hold him quite tighly and say watch what mummy is going to do, this is magic! and i would explain to him what i was doing, i think that worked for me smile

MrsBadger Mon 28-Jul-08 11:22:35

best time is when she's asleep in the carseat - I keep clippers in the glovebox and take any chance I get (have done them in all sorts of car parks)

but otherwise this is the one thing I do use TV for, pinned on lap as described below

serenity Mon 28-Jul-08 11:34:01

yep, sleeping here too (well not now as they're a bit older than 1, but definitely during that too stroppy to comply phase smile)

Romy7 Mon 28-Jul-08 11:37:29

asleep.

Reesie Mon 28-Jul-08 15:19:20

Definately asleep. I find toenails even more tricky - she seems to wriggle away even when asleep - but then she has got very tickly feet.

geordieminx Mon 28-Jul-08 15:24:07

ceebeebies and sharp nail scissors - used to use baby ones but it took 3 times as long to hack them.

Kewcumber Mon 28-Jul-08 15:24:47

emery board

Seeline Mon 28-Jul-08 15:25:38

I used to sing 'Tommy Thumb' with DS sat on my lap. that seemed to work - I think he's still got all his fingers blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now