Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Question from 'nit virgin'

(4 Posts)
Issymum Wed 09-Feb-05 09:47:36

Over the last couple of weeks we've noticed that DD1 (4) has tiny white specks in her hair, particularly at the back of her head where it rests on the bed. The specks are attached to the strands of her hair rather than in her scalp. We've tried combing her hair with a nit comb, but haven't found any nits. However, there is an outbreak of nits at her pre-school (when isn't there?). Should I assume that this is nits and do whatever you're supposed to do to get rid of them or is there a less repulsive explanation for the specks?

anorak Wed 09-Feb-05 09:53:54

It does sound like nits. Nits are the eggs of the head-louse which cements the eggs to the hair. They vary in colour from white to dark grey-brown. Ordinary washing kills the lice but not the nits, which hatch out and perpetuate the cycle.

Recommended treatments vary since they quickly become immune. Your pre-school can advise on what is currently being recommended.

To avoid the use of lotions with chemicals, though, you can wash the hair and then soak for a few minutes in lashings of conditioner, then comb through with a nit comb. The conditioner helps to detach the nits from the hair. Repeat this treatment daily to pick up any strays, until you feel confident they have gone.

Take bedding and towels and wash them at 60 degrees if they will take it, and tumble dry.

anorak Wed 09-Feb-05 09:54:47

Oh yes and it is best to treat the whole family as they are very contagious.

Issymum Wed 09-Feb-05 09:57:57

Thanks Anorak. I had the feeling that that was the case. We wash DD1's hair pretty frequently (strangely she quite likes it) which may be why we are not seeing the lice. I think we may try one wash with the lice shampoo and after that go for the conditioner and combing route.

Ugh! I'm actually not that bothered at the thought of the nits/lice, just the hassle!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now