Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

It has taken long enough - but I finally know what is wrong with DH

(18 Posts)
KatyMac Sat 26-Jul-08 22:56:22

I sneaked a look at the letter for the GP from the hospital

It is Haemophilus influenzae

Which sounds like a cold but has tied up a bed at Papworth for 5 days admission, 2 day admissions & 4 comsultant appointments

But I really don't know what it is

Blandmum Sat 26-Jul-08 22:58:52

Is a bacteria , HIB, the one that kids are often vaccinated against

PussinJimmyChoos Sat 26-Jul-08 22:59:07

Just googled it for you:

A gram-negative bacteria that is a common cause for epiglottitis, meningitis, conjunctivitis, sepsis and respiratory infections

KatyMac Sat 26-Jul-08 22:59:39

Is it difficult to kill?

Apparently he may have had it for up to 5 years

Blandmum Sat 26-Jul-08 23:03:52

about 75% of us have it up our noses

KatyMac Sat 26-Jul-08 23:04:58

So why is he ill & getting iller? (is that a word?)

wrinklytum Sat 26-Jul-08 23:06:19

If hes been on loads of steroids and immunocompromising drugs,Katy he may be more susceptible to such things,but the IVABS will help xxx (just seen this after other thread) xx

Blandmum Sat 26-Jul-08 23:07:50

You can kill it with antibiotics

This is rough for you, IV antibiotics are what he needs, and hes getting them now

KatyMac Sat 26-Jul-08 23:08:13

The steroids are for the Haemophilus influenzae

As are the A/B

Blandmum Sat 26-Jul-08 23:09:03

and WT is right, this sort of thing can make you ill if your immune system doesn't keep it under control...given that he's been on immune suporessants things like this can cause problems. but it is treatable

KatyMac Sat 26-Jul-08 23:11:37

Sorry MB - he hasn't been on 'immune suporessants' (at least I don't think so)

Just asthma stuff, the the a-bs & steroids for the Haemophilus influenzae

This is his problem rather than it being a result of anything else

TBH I don't know why Papworth are interested he isn't nearly ill enough for them

Blandmum Sat 26-Jul-08 23:14:20

sorry, immune suppressants

Is what I wanted to type

HIB is one of those odd bacteria that can 'come out of the woodwork' if you are not in full health, IYSWIM. Most of us keep it under control most of the time.

What matters is that it can be treated with antibiotics and he's getting that treatment

KatyMac Sat 26-Jul-08 23:15:59

Yep he is on (make your own) IV A-Bs

i recckon he could go in for a drug addiction when it's over - he welds that syringe like a pro

wrinklytum Sat 26-Jul-08 23:18:28

Sorry,Katy maybe I got the wrong end of stick as usual!!

Has he not been on something for his heart?Or is he a t Papworth for the respiratory stuff??

Though steroids themselves can effect the immune response as well as propping up the immune system,paradoxically.

dp has rare autoimmunedisease so his treatment AND steroids have made him vulnerable to infections.

KatyMac Sat 26-Jul-08 23:27:01

No - they are treating the Haemophilus influenzae at Papworth - that is his problem

In the last 12 months he had 13 lots of oral a-bs & in 2007 he only had 11 hmm

Thye think that this Haemophilus influenzae is causing his infections (although he gets secondary infections most times)

& when this treatment (aminophylline, pedisilone & Cefuroxime sodium) finishes he is going onto Doxycycline

BoysAreLikeDogs Sat 26-Jul-08 23:29:05

At last you have a name for what is wrong with Dh, Katy.

wrinklytum Sat 26-Jul-08 23:29:20

Poor guy,hope he is feeling better soon

(and slighty less steroid manic!)

KatyMac Sat 26-Jul-08 23:35:39

Thanks

I hope to mania goes too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now