Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Fillings: white v amalgam

(26 Posts)
OldLadyKnowsNothing Sat 26-Jul-08 20:26:53

My son has beautiful, naturally white, even and strong teeth, but at 17 he needs his first filling. He can have an NHS amalgam filling for free, as he's under 18 and a student, or I can pay £90 for hinm to have a white filling. I can afford this.

Which is better?

BBBee Sat 26-Jul-08 20:34:13

white - they can be in for years.

zwiggy Sat 26-Jul-08 20:34:32

amalgam are stronger, last longer. FACT.

I had a tiny little white filling when i was 18, ( all others are amalgam) this white one was replaced about 4 times, getting bigger each time, eventually root canal, then had to have it extracted when i was pregnant! I wish I had just had an amalgam and not been so vane

BBBee Sat 26-Jul-08 20:39:04

oh - listen to her not me.

theowlwhowasafraidofthedark Sat 26-Jul-08 20:47:23

I am vain - I had my amalgam one replaced with a white one earlier this year. I much prefer it. The dentist told me that the more modern white fillings last longer than the older ones. I have no idea if this is actually true.

zwiggy Sat 26-Jul-08 20:50:38

well that was my exxperience, but I do have a dentist in the family who concurs this.

imagine having a bad tooth that would normally be treated with anti biotics but can't cos you are in the early weeks of pregnancy that then has to be extracted WITHOUT anaestic for four hours, knowing that you are going to have a big gap when you smile and you are getting married in 3 weeks, then you have a miscarriage the day before your wedding anyway. And now you look like a toothless crone. Its enough to put you off white fillings for good, I can tell you.

I had a lovely lovely wedding btw, and I've got a gorgeous baby who has just got his first tooth

SpecialOffer Sat 26-Jul-08 20:55:19

My dentist told me white do not last as long...

suedonim Sat 26-Jul-08 21:18:34

My dentist has replaced my amalgam fillings with white ones as they've needed re-doing and they've been fab. None of the white ones has needed doing again, despite some of them being pretty old now. Our dentist is excellent, and meticulous with her work.

BBBee Sat 26-Jul-08 21:19:26

zwiggy - that is really sad - I am glad you had a good day and a lovely boy.

theyoungvisiter Sat 26-Jul-08 21:22:45

Oldlady - my dentist gave me a white filling in my molar for free - I wonder what the criteria are for having to pay? Mine was only titchy if it makes a difference.

I'd say go for white anyway just on vanity - also isn't there some controversy over the ingredients in amalgam? Or is that all old-hat now?

zwiggy Sat 26-Jul-08 21:25:37

bbbee it was stressful but it wasn't sad. don't worry about me smile.

if it is not going to be somewhere prominent then amalgam is prolly best, tho I'm sure white ones are much better these days

BBBee Sat 26-Jul-08 21:30:20

I know I am silly- just touched me a bit smile

Jackstini Sat 26-Jul-08 21:30:51

Where is the filling going to be?
Out of interest I had a white filling replaced earlier this year but it was only 43 quid. Had been in for 21 years.

uptomyeyes Sat 26-Jul-08 21:31:01

White. My amalgam fillings were so strong that they caused fractures in my teeth eventually causing more damage. My white replacements have been great. No more photos of me with a mouth full of metal.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Sat 26-Jul-08 21:49:16

Wow, I didn't expect such a fast response to a rather boring query lol! Thanks all, for your input.

I have amalgam fillings myself, some blush approaching 40 years old (but I haven't been to a dentist for over 20 blush again) and I'm not concerned about the lead aspect, but if a white one would last as long I'd happily shell out for it. It's a molar, so it's not immediately obvious unless he laughs, but he actually broke it so it's not a tiny hole.

thumbwitch Sat 26-Jul-08 21:52:12

it's not lead, it's mercury. And although there is controversy around it, the general feeling among dentists is that amalgam fillings themselves don't leak mercury while in place. They DO "leak" mercury when they are drilled out, however.

I would go for white.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Sat 26-Jul-08 21:54:46

Of course thumbwitch, you're right about mercury. I am now thinking about mad hatters. grin

thumbwitch Sat 26-Jul-08 21:56:02

hee hee!

kd73 Sat 26-Jul-08 22:01:18

I had my first white filling last year, it didn't look natural and was told it would need replacing in 8 - 10 yrs.

However, like Zwiggy I've ended up having the tooth extracted whilst pregnant!!!

Not sure I would have another as in the long term, it wasn't worthwhile and I am still in pain sad

thumbwitch Sat 26-Jul-08 22:08:43

I have had 2 white fillings so far and no problem with either.

I was warned off having any amalgam fillings replaced while pregnant and breastfeeding because of the mercury vapour release.
My mouth resembles that of Metal Mickey (remember that show?) and I intend to get each filling replaced with white as and when they need doing.

Twizzler Sat 26-Jul-08 22:14:46

Have just read this thread and am a bit worried now as had to have amalgam filling drilled out when pregnant.

What are the health implications for a foetus? My son is 4 now and healthy but could it have damaged him in some way that I don't know about?

thumbwitch Sat 26-Jul-08 22:18:26

Twizzler if it was just one filling I doubt it was a problem. Mercury is a cumulative toxic metal anyway, so it takes a fair bit before it builds up to cause any real problem.

As I said, I have a large amount of amalgam in my mouth (some of my molars are held together by amalgam! winkblush) and there had been a bit of an issue with pregnant women choosing to get all their teeth re-done while it's free, thus increasing the amount of mercury vapour released in a very short space of time.

HumphreySmallPillow Sat 26-Jul-08 22:20:12

DH had a white filling done last year - it fell out within six months.

Twizzler Sat 26-Jul-08 22:21:31

Phew! Thank you!

It was only one. Had to have a tooth built back up again as broke it when biting into a family size block of dairy milk that had been in the freezer (pregnancy cravingblush).

thumbwitch Sat 26-Jul-08 22:23:42

grin at Twizzler

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now