Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

washing hair on a 2 year old - any tips?

(14 Posts)
ilovemydog Fri 25-Jul-08 15:24:10

and not getting shampoo into her eyes?

AnnieAreYouOkAreYouOkAnnie Fri 25-Jul-08 15:25:57

ask her to look up at your head and see if she can see the spider that's going to get you
Even better if your DP could stand behind and pretend his hand is the spider...

Works for a few nights anyway...

Mercy Fri 25-Jul-08 15:26:49

Swimming goggles

Tip head right back - look at the spider (or whatever) on the ceiling

Or I think you can buy a thing that goes round the head (bit like the brim of a sunhat)

Mercy Fri 25-Jul-08 15:27:27

haha - you use the spider trick too!

AnnieAreYouOkAreYouOkAnnie Fri 25-Jul-08 15:29:58

smile

Hannah81 Fri 25-Jul-08 15:36:02

I use baby shampoo that doesn't sting and I have to be honest I just pour the water over his head - it doesn't bother him in fact he thinks its funny

I say ready steady and he shouts "GO"!
Here's the shampoo eye shield

Good luck though

ilovemydog Fri 25-Jul-08 16:07:12

love the spider trick - may replace it with a bee. She's obsessed with bees at the moment!

lol at shampoo hat hmm

tortoiseSHELL Fri 25-Jul-08 16:10:51

Tell them to shut their eyes, then just tip the water over, using a jug. Gets it over with quickly, which I think is less painful than painstakingly trying to avoid any water/shampoo in eyes. Baby shampoo doesn't sting anyway.

legalalien Fri 25-Jul-08 16:13:22

we had a ghastly six months at this age where DS was terrified of hairwashing. With a lot of forced-calm behaviour, swimming goggles, a shampoo shield and using a facecloth to squeeze water over his head (rather than a jug - apparently less scary) and the occasional M&M as a reward for being brave, we got there in the end.

MrsDougRoss Fri 25-Jul-08 16:15:17

my DS loves having his hair washed, but D can not stand it, we have to wash hers by stealth or she flips out, we kind of wash it with a flannel and shampoo, she just can not stand water being poured over the top of her head. Got one of those jugs with the flexi side and se just screamed, same with shampoo shield

Seona1973 Fri 25-Jul-08 19:32:28

we use a shower hose that attaches to the bath taps and try to get them to tip their heads and look up at the ceiling. dd is good at it but she is 4 - ds(21 months) ends up with much more on his face/in his eyes but a wipe with the bath towel sorts it out.

RubyRioja Fri 25-Jul-08 19:34:04

do it every night - needed or not to break spirit

nell12 Fri 25-Jul-08 19:40:28

Stickers on the ceiling for dd to look up at.

Wash her hair as often as possible... after a while she will get used to it.

Make it a game, get her to wash her dolly's hair.

Habbibu Fri 25-Jul-08 19:43:59

Fold up a damp flannel, and get her to hold it over her eyes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now