Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Babies and eye test esults. Glasses???

(9 Posts)
lisad123 Fri 25-Jul-08 10:33:21

My LO had a eye test on weds, and they said she has a rugby shaped eye, ansd is long sighted. They said they wouldnt normally worry but she is quite long sighted in the rugby shaped one. We have been reffered to hospital but wondering whats the changes of not having glasses? Anyone had this?

pinkteddy Fri 25-Jul-08 23:25:56

My eye is rugby shaped apparently! I have astigmatism but I was long sighted as a child. I've worn glasses for years I'm afraid. How old is LO? If they catch it early it can make a difference.

candyfluff Sat 26-Jul-08 08:35:37

my dd was aged 2 when she was tested and had stigmatisim too and has worn glasses since then ,she also had to wear patches for a year to try and get the bad eye working better.
she has to wear them for the rest of her life

bigcar Sat 26-Jul-08 08:55:27

Dd3 has had glasses since she was 7 months old and we've also done the patching (great fun!), she looked very cute! Once she realised she could see much better with them on it wasn't a problem getting her to keep them on.

tortoiseSHELL Sat 26-Jul-08 08:57:15

She may need glasses, and she may need to wear a patch - it depends on what the exact problem is. Dd is long sighted, but more so in the right eye (she is 4.11) - she has glasses and wears a patch in the evening. The orthoptist said that the earlier you can catch these things the better - by age 8 they are 'hard wired' into the brain and can't be altered, before that sight can be corrected, and especially if one eye is a bit lazy.

LittleMoosh Sat 26-Jul-08 09:03:59

My DS is 6 yo and is short sighted, been wearing glasses for 1 year now. He didn't really want them at first and kept twisting them out of shape on purpose. He has since got used to them and his 2 best friends also wear glasses. Our optician also said wearing his glasses all the time now could mean he won't have to wear them after he's 8 yo. I hope so. I'm short sighted, v. short sighted and have to wear glasses all the time or I can't see a thing. I wouldn't want him to have to wear them permanently

lisad123 Sat 26-Jul-08 21:40:06

thanks, my LO is 10 months. just waiting for the hospital appointment now

tink123 Sun 27-Jul-08 08:55:40

DD has this and wears glasses. Only found out when she was 5, chances are she has had it since birth

IneedacleanerIamalazyslattern Sun 27-Jul-08 12:05:46

DD has an astigmatism rugby ball shaped) and is short sighted she wears glasses.
DS was referred to the hospital young because of the strong familyhistory of astigmatism I have. When he was first checked he had a slight astigmatism and was VERY long sighted, as this is apparently common in babies ad toddlers as they grow and change he was not offered glasses he was checked again 3 months later where the eye had grown and thus changed shape so astigmatism was no longer presenent and was less long sighted he has to go back in 6 months time to be checed again as there has been improvement.

When I discussed it with our orthoptist she said that these changes are common in growing babies and toddlers and the need for glasses will depend on hos severe the astigmatism is, if slight or borderline they will possibly check again in a few months before deciding and long sightedness is often outgrown again the need for glasses would depend on severity.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now