Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

suddenly realised how little weight DS1 has put on - in fact he may even have lost some

(6 Posts)
sphil Fri 25-Jul-08 09:44:35

DS1 is 7. Always been quite tall - 75th centile or thereabouts. Had him weighed yesterday and he's 21.5 kgs - about 3st3. He's 125cm tall. I blew the dust off his red book and he weighed 20kg at 5!

Is it usual for kids to put on this little weight in 2 years? He may even have lost - I'm sure I remember him being 22kg at some stage. He has had a height growth spurt recently (and a show size spurt).

sphil Fri 25-Jul-08 09:45:21

shoe size!

Oh and he eats well.

pinkpeanut Fri 25-Jul-08 10:18:01

I wouldn't worry, especially as you say he has had a growth spurt. My ds has also not put on any weight for a while and takes great delight in showing me his ribs!

The rate of growth really slows down until about 10, just look at the curve in his red book. If our ds's continued to grow at the same rate as they did a few years ago they'd be huge!

SlartyBartFast Fri 25-Jul-08 10:22:54

i was worried about my own at that age too, it is a scarey moment, but as pinkpeanut says, look at red book and check

SlartyBartFast Fri 25-Jul-08 10:23:28

i remember thinking she had been 18kg for Years!

schneebly Fri 25-Jul-08 10:27:43

I am sure if he eats well and is well in himself then he is absolutely fine. My DS1 stayed the same weight (but grew in height) for 15 months but he was just stretching out as he was a roundish pre-schooler and had changed shape a bit. Maybe he has had a growth spurt upwards and will fill out a bit now?

I remember my brothers being particulary skinny at around the age of 7 and they could eat for Britain! They are both 'normal' size now smile Sadly I do not share their body type grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now