Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can you have RA with no morning stiffness or weight loss?

(8 Posts)
hercules1 Fri 25-Jul-08 07:55:43

That's it really. I've had problems with my fingers for the last 18 months or so up and down with locking fingers, stiffness etc and more recently painful middle finger joints and painful thumbs although not constant.

Any thoughts??

hercules1 Fri 25-Jul-08 08:28:36

I do get swollen fingers in the morning (know this because I cant take my ring off) but is this normal for people anyway without RA?

cmotdibbler Fri 25-Jul-08 08:46:21

I think morning stiffness is fairly characteristic of RA, and everyone I know who has had RA, is stiff in the morning, and then loosen up through the day. If it gets worse during the day its usually osteoarthritis.

I have an autoimmune arthritis related to coeliac disease, and as long as I keep to the diet strictly its ok now, and even have some resolution of my finger deformities

hercules1 Fri 25-Jul-08 08:47:23

Would I not be too young for osteoarthritis though at 34?

cmotdibbler Fri 25-Jul-08 08:57:04

Its one of those things that although more common as you get older, theres no cut off age. DH has severe knee OA at 36, and a friend has hip OA at 34. Have you had any injuries or do repetitive movements (a lot of knitting or typing) - that can be a factor

hercules1 Fri 25-Jul-08 09:01:59

No, no repetitive movements. I've had locking of fingers, stiffness, pins and needles, going to sleep etc in fingers for a long time now but no pain until recently.
Using a knife and fork, holding a phone, brushing dd's hair now can all cause joint pain in my thumb and middle finger joints.

cmotdibbler Fri 25-Jul-08 09:10:54

Sounds more like carpal tunnel syndrome to me - my mum had it and she had a lot of pins and needles/ deadening, and one of the key symptoms is the thumb/middle finger thing on gripping. Really easily treated with minor surgery to release the nerves.

hercules1 Fri 25-Jul-08 10:33:24

I've been nerve tested for carpal tunnel syndrome and it's not that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now