Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

What verruca treatment really works?

(11 Posts)
Gemzooks Thu 24-Jul-08 12:45:29

Have long standing verruca. Have tried salycic acid or whatever it's called (standard stuff you buy in the chemist).

Has anyone tried the wartner ones and do they really work?

I want something strong.

Also, can you use it if you're pregnant?

any tips much appreciated!

maidamess Thu 24-Jul-08 12:47:19

Someone told me that duct tape works. the silver stuff. Cover the verruca with that and apparently it goes.

My dd had a very long standing one, we tried everything. Eventually it died by itself, and hasn't come back.

cocolepew Thu 24-Jul-08 12:49:39

I used the scholl freezing one on DD, it worked very quickly.

MrsBadger Thu 24-Jul-08 13:01:54

duct tape

cover with square of tape - apply a new bit if it drops off
once a week remove tape, soak foot and sand dead skin off verruca with a pumice stone
retape
continue till it's gone

also prevents transmission quite well

Gemzooks Thu 24-Jul-08 13:03:34

thanks!

Sorry to be ignorant, but what is duct tape?

MrsBadger Thu 24-Jul-08 13:07:14

also known as gaffer tape or Duck tape, it's very sticky heavy duy tape, most often seen in black and silver, reinforced with a fabric mesh.
thus

cocolepew Thu 24-Jul-08 13:12:23

It's the tape of choice for serial killers.

heavenstobetsy Thu 24-Jul-08 13:13:53

My doctor runs a freezing clinic and zapped mine with liquid nitrogen which worked a treat

DontNeedAnything Thu 24-Jul-08 21:41:36

In my house we have evolved the following method very successfully.

1. treat with Salicylic acid based treatment for 7-10 days as directed.

2. Banana* treatment for 7-14 days

3. As verucca starts to seprate spontaneously from teh healthy skin go for a long bath (30min+), so it is ultra soft. Pair of tweezers and remove.

Banana treatment is as follows:
Piece of banana skin, fleshy side down on surface of verucca. Cover with plaster. After 24hrs remove, wipe with a baby wipe, replace. After a few days you see the verucca starting to detatch itself from teh healthy skin.

DontNeedAnything Thu 24-Jul-08 21:42:47

<Oh and I havn't tried duct tape but I don't know any other treatment which is less painful or quicker than banana - but Ido find a few spots of Bazoka etc. do help start it off..>

MingMingtheWonderPet Thu 24-Jul-08 21:51:29

Avoca is very good.
Ask chemist for it, do not need prescription
Not a salycic acid treatment, but works brilliantly.
DS had a couple of very long standing veruccas and it got rid of them in about 4 weeks.
Info here

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now