Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Do toddlers get cradle cap?

(20 Posts)
Jacksmybaby Thu 24-Jul-08 10:55:44

Just noticed yellowish scabby/flaky patches on 18mo DS's scalp. He never had cradle cap as a baby, so I don't really know what it looks like but this looks like it might be cradle cap, do toddlers get this or is it only little babies? Best thing to treat it?

CaptainKarvol Thu 24-Jul-08 11:01:36

mine does (he's 2.4). It looks vile. He never had it as a baby either, so I have no idea how to treat it! Will watch with interest to see if anyone else knows...

Jacksmybaby Thu 24-Jul-08 11:27:33

Thanks CK.
Anyone else...?

ProfYaffle Thu 24-Jul-08 11:29:32

17 mo dd2 has it too. I'm not sure if there's anything you can do (other than buy some pretty hats), I'm not about to start pissing about with olive oil tbh.

LadySanders Thu 24-Jul-08 11:31:07

my ds got it when he was a toddler. dentinox shampoo from supermarket/boots will keep it under control. esp if you give it a good rub with a flannel when washing.

VanillaPumpkin Thu 24-Jul-08 11:33:42

My three year old dd2 has just had it for the first time shock. I used the Dentinox shampoo and it has worked a treat.
DD1 had it as a baby and the Olive Oil worked a treat.

Spink Thu 24-Jul-08 11:35:08

Dentinox didn't work for us, hv suggested massaging ds' scalp with olive oil, an hour or so before bath time, and then during the bath, combing his head, which lifts up all the flakes the oil has loosened. Then shampoo the oil out (a few washes needed!!)Worked a treat, and was strangely therapeutic for me too smile

Jacksmybaby Thu 24-Jul-08 11:36:01

Thanks everyone will try the dentinox.

maidamess Thu 24-Jul-08 11:38:19

My 7 year old still has it in places! (shame)

pinkpeanut Thu 24-Jul-08 11:44:42

A bit of conditioner and a nit comb works a treat!

Kewcumber Thu 24-Jul-08 11:51:09

what casues it does anyone know.

TrinityRhino Thu 24-Jul-08 11:52:16

gecko has had it from birth and she still has it now at 18 months
dentinox definitely helps
as does nit combing and conditioning

bethoo Thu 24-Jul-08 11:54:43

my ds has it, it never went away from when he was a baby!

walkinthewoods Thu 24-Jul-08 11:58:57

I noticed it recently in my 4 year old (and posted).. She never had it as a baby either. TBH I've just left it, as I'm much the same as pp, can't be arsed with the olive oil. Detinox never worked with my ds, he just grew out of it (but with a bit of picking from me urghh)

Volkl Thu 24-Jul-08 12:01:50

How weird - i noticed my DS (2.3yr) has still got it, i know it went after he was about 6 months, yet this morning i noticed its back!!!
I picked the loose bits out and was wondering what to do... i'll try dentinox and perhaps comb his hair every day (he has short hair that why i dont comb it, rather than being a slattern!)

VanillaPumpkin Thu 24-Jul-08 14:21:14

I only noticed dd2's when she kept scratching her head, so I think it can get itchy if ignored. I was relieved not to find nits though tbh.

desperatelyseekingsleep Thu 24-Jul-08 14:34:02

DS1 had this really badly up to age 2.5. Doc sent us to dermatologist because she'd never seen such a bad case at this age. Dermatologist recommended good old-fashioned olive oil but said we had to be rigorous about rubbing it in every day for up to a month. Worked like a miracle, but it did take a good month - and there were about 2 weeks where huge flakes lifted up and just sat in DS's hair looking absolutely disgusting. Now he's completely cradle cap free at age 3. HTH

littlelapin Thu 24-Jul-08 14:35:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

fizzbuzz Thu 24-Jul-08 14:47:15

Ds had it for ages, up till about 7 or 8 (or later)

He's 14 now and no sign of.........

ThingOne Thu 24-Jul-08 18:24:33

My 43 year old husband still has it so I worry not about my two year old and four year old!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now