Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

DD7 neck stiff neck and painful going on for 3 week dr says keep giving the pain killers HELP

(25 Posts)
lexcat Wed 23-Jul-08 19:58:21

So far one vist to AandE then the osteopath twice back to the doctor a week later then again to the osteopath twice them back to the doctor again today.
Woke up in lots of pain (3 weeks on friday) couldn't hold her head straight or move it much. Got worst on Saturday bad night so took her to A&E Sunday told it was sprained. Sister in to massage then told me that evening the neck bones were out if alinment.
So took her to the osteopath said the same and worked on she felt better but still a lot of pain then again on the thursday still not right so took her to the doctor told me it out of alinment should sort itself buy the end of the weekend. No such luck.
Twice back to the osteopath in the second week but run out of money.
Been a week since we last went to the osteopath and she has been alot better but far from been right.
Took her back to the doctor tonight (different doctor)said keep giving the pain killers, and all the same things as the last doctor. If it not better in a week come back.
Fed up so is dd nearly three weeks of pain and limmited movement is very tough when your only 7 do I take her back to the osteopath or just keep waiting as she made very little progess if got backwards in the last few days.

lexcat Wed 23-Jul-08 20:27:46

bump

kid Wed 23-Jul-08 20:35:05

I know the osteopath are able to ease the pain and make it more bearable for your DD but can't the DR refer her for physio?
I suffer from muscle spasms in my neck and back. By getting treatment by the physio, I was able to learn way to prevent the pain coming back and also some simple exercises to do at the first sign of any pain.

Your poor DD, I really feel for her. Its no fun being in discomfort especially for such a long time.

lexcat Wed 23-Jul-08 20:57:32

Well was hoping she would refer dd to physio but she said "these thing can take their time so I think we sould wait another week".

lexcat Wed 23-Jul-08 21:28:17

Anyone please

kid Wed 23-Jul-08 21:33:15

I don't know how long a referal takes for physio where you are, but I had to wait 7 long weeks to be seen. It was worth it in the end.

Could you ask to see a different dr? You are entitled to ask for a second opinion.

lexcat Wed 23-Jul-08 21:41:35

No we had the last appointment of the day and the only doctor on duty.
But she said she will refer dd to the orthopedic doctor if still not better next week how long do you think that will take.

Twiglett Wed 23-Jul-08 21:45:00

are the 'pain killers' ibuprofen or similar .. in which case they have an anti-inflammatory effect and should be taken constantly to help ease the muscular spasm

what is she taking?

do you have heat packs? they will help ease it too

poor wee thing

memoo Wed 23-Jul-08 21:47:14

heat pack will definately hurt, I have problems with my neck and I also find that ibuprofen gel helps more than tablets

lex, can i just ask, you said "DD7" Have you got 7 DC?

Twiglett Wed 23-Jul-08 21:51:55

do you mean that heat packs hurt you? because for many they provide much relief from muscular spasm which can be associated with the sprain

Twiglett Wed 23-Jul-08 21:52:56

memoo she means her dd is aged 7

memoo Wed 23-Jul-08 21:53:04

sorry that should have been HELP, heatpack will help! I'm being a bit dim tonight!!

memoo Wed 23-Jul-08 21:53:42

ahhh her DD is 7, god i really am being dim!

lexcat Wed 23-Jul-08 21:54:14

Tried the gel didn't work iburofen was good but doctor now saying calpol and only if needs mores needed iburofen. The pains not as bad has it was just can't move the head much. Heats good but what with it been hot dd not to keen on it.
No sorry meant dd is 7 not 7dc

Twiglett Wed 23-Jul-08 21:55:58

personally I'd keep her on regular ibuprofen for the anti-inflammatories and the pain relief

Twiglett Wed 23-Jul-08 21:57:52

calpol advice just doesn't make sense

memoo Wed 23-Jul-08 22:23:20

I agree with twig, it makes more sense to give her anti-inflammatories

kid Wed 23-Jul-08 23:46:15

I know someone that has to apply an icepack to a muscle spasm rather than a heatpack.

Did a search on google and came up with this link www2.vhihealthe.com/topic/iceheatpacks which suggests either a heatpack or icepack! If you have already tried a heatpack, how about using a cold pack instead to see if that makes any difference. It reduces swelling and numbs the pain so it could be what she needs.

Bet its so frustrating that you have to keep waiting. I can understand the need for the Dr to want to wait, but surely 3 weeks of suffering before even considering a referal is too long?

LovelyDear Wed 23-Jul-08 23:49:09

my dd woke up in screaming neck agony the other day. couldn't move her head at all. she'd fallen and bashed it the day before but been fine all evening. we took her to casualty and they prescribed pain killers and diazepam to relax the muscles and allow her to move. really helped, she was much better within 24 hours.

thumbwitch Wed 23-Jul-08 23:57:57

if her neck is out of alignment and the muscles are spasming around it (which is what it sounds like) then keep giving her the anti-inflamms (Calpol is pointless), use a topical thing like Ralgex/Deep heat/ Tiger balm and massage it gently into her neck. Don't use icepack at this stage as that is to help prevent tissue damage and it's a bit late for that.

The osteo can only do so much to re-align the bones if the neck muscles are spasmed, some kind of therapeutic massage prior to osteopathy would help loosen the muscles and allow the osteo to do more. However, if it's a money issue that might be tricky. Don't give up on the osteo - in the end, it's the only thing that will sort her neck out as the physio won't manage it (from experience).

If you can get muscle relaxants such as diazepam prescribed, that would help too.

lexcat Thu 24-Jul-08 08:22:11

Thanks thunbwitch that what I've been told by others that chiropractic or osteopathy is the way to go. Went with osteopathy because it would be more genlte.
Not sue if it's still out alignment oasosteopathy did say he worked on and their was movement and should right it's self now (That was on the last session when he knew I couldn't come back no money).
The pains much better but her necks gone from a C shape to an S shape. Granny said she will pay for a session so think it's try even if she just gets abit more movment making her more comforable over the weekend before we see the dr again.

NotQuiteCockney Thu 24-Jul-08 08:26:08

Alternating hot and cold can help.

Does a hot bath help? I find it always works for neck stuff.

I agree with the physio recommendation - you can get it privately, and I rate it more than osteo. Some of them do alignment, too.

Also, what sort of pillow does she have? The shaped ones really help, at least for me.

itati Thu 24-Jul-08 08:26:31

I would be tempted to go to A&E and not move until she is treated, but hten i have no experience of this so not sure how realistic it is.

I would at least go back to the GP.

lexcat Thu 24-Jul-08 22:33:07

Thanks for all your help go tan appointent with the big cheese of osteopaths in this area. Haven't been able to get to see him but been to someone else. He was very clear about what the problem and how it would have started. Also made it clear of time on how long to sort the problem. 3 max appoinments over the next 3 weeks.
Is great but still have the problem of the cost and don't know should I go back and if I do should I also go back to the Gp next week if it still not right.

thumbwitch Thu 24-Jul-08 23:30:51

I can only speak from my experience here - your GP can really only refer your DD for physio (tho he could also prescribe muscle relaxants for temporary spasm relief).
Physio referral can take ages (6 weeks or more) unless you are very lucky. Private physios are available but obviously cost money.
If you have to spend money, I would spend it on the osteopath. In the end, the money has to be worth it for your DD to get better. But I realise that's easy to say when it's not me that has to find the money. Having said that, when I was re-training and was a very poor student, the one thing I did spend money on regularly was my osteopath because for me, it was not a luxury, it was a necessity (and still is) to keep me mobile, balanced and relatively pain-free.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now