Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Bit unpleasant, but...

(15 Posts)
Ewe Wed 23-Jul-08 18:03:51

How do you give a stool sample? I just can't work out the logistics. Your experiences please!

Slouchy Wed 23-Jul-08 18:11:10

You poo in an empty ice cream tub. Then scrape some sample into tube. Then rinse ice cream tub and replace in cupboard for the next batch of spag bol sauce.....

JRocks Wed 23-Jul-08 18:12:08

shock grin

lulumama Wed 23-Jul-08 18:12:23

disposable foil food thingie... a little one, rather than one you wuld use for a turkey.. get one with a lid !

TigerFeet Wed 23-Jul-08 18:14:13

Have you been given a container? If so I would just catch a poo in some toilet roll and use the container to scoop a bit of it up

If you have no container, wot Lulumama said.

Ewe Wed 23-Jul-08 18:14:21

Oh so that is what the spatula is for!

Bleah at reusing it, I have ishoos about pooh at the best of times.

Thanks for your tips

Ewe Wed 23-Jul-08 18:16:21

I have a container, like a urine sample pot with a spatula attached to the lid.

They don't give any guidance on how much they need though, I'm hoping guessing they don't expect the container to be full.

crochetdiva Wed 23-Jul-08 18:18:02

or, put some clingfilm over the bowl (put a hole in it, to let the wee through - voice of experience blush), poo as normal, then scrape a bit out of the clingfilm.

Ewe Wed 23-Jul-08 18:18:37

Will the clingfilm then flush?

crochetdiva Wed 23-Jul-08 18:22:31

no, you have to scrunch it up, and put it in a nappy sack - but it's the easiest way to do it that I've found.

Ewe Wed 23-Jul-08 18:27:37

Thanks, will try that, seems least messy way of doing it!

nightcat Wed 23-Jul-08 18:38:19

I taped carrier bag over the loo (with tissue on the edge of the seat for comfort), then used a spatula, then tipped the rest out down the loo and and disposed of the carrier with rubbish.

notcitrus Wed 23-Jul-08 18:43:41

My first ever work experience was establishing whether patients sending stool samples by post could be feasible. After playing with various samples and the folding card containers, luckily inside a fume hood, I concluded it wasn't...

Just sit slightly sideways on the loo and scoop up some that sticks to the side.
Or poo as normal and reach in and scoop up a spoonful - doesn't matter if it's a bit soggy, unless they've told you otherwise?
A teaspoonful is more than enough!

Zebraa Wed 23-Jul-08 18:58:12

Hope you're OK Ewe? Nothing too serious?

My sister did this not long ago and have asked her for you - she said you have to poo into a container, something you can obviously dispose of and then use your spatula to get a small amount (roughly 1/2 a container full, screw on the lid VERY tighyly and flush the remains down the toilet and bin the container.

If you're handing it in tomorrow, maybe try your best to wait till morning to do it so you're not in your house thinking 'oh my word there is a container of poo in my house'.

Good luck!

Ewe Wed 23-Jul-08 23:45:12

Thanks all! Hoping it's nothing too serious - most likely stomach ulcer and infection, lovely.

I feel really nervous about doing it! Oh and then I have to take it on bus or train to drop at docs, ewwwwwww.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now