Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

ok, been feeling really shoite lately, have got to go for ECG, lung function test and chest X-Ray, and I have questions, some of which are daft, some not so....

(19 Posts)
mazzystar Wed 23-Jul-08 17:07:37

Q1[daft] what should I wear? for ecg and x-ray - do you have to take clothes off or not?
Q2. I know they will send the results to gps, and person doing the tests won't tell me anything but I am sort of person who likes to know stuff like what my bp [the number, rather than it being just ok its normal]- any ideas what questions I should ask?

Am a total wuss about all things health related, so any information vr experience gratefully recieved

lulumama Wed 23-Jul-08 17:09:15

oh no! sorry to hear this, have no advice whatsoever, except you will most likely be given hospital gown for xrays etc...

hope you are on the mend soon smile

where you having the tests?

Twiglett Wed 23-Jul-08 17:09:31

where what you like .. for an ecg they'll have to put leads on you in odd places so make sure clothes can be moved around easily

most of the technicians do tell you if you ask and everything is all clear

you don't need to take clothes off for ecg or x-ray

Twiglett Wed 23-Jul-08 17:10:24

where wear

TheFallenMadonna Wed 23-Jul-08 17:11:06

I only have experience of chest xray. You have to strip top half - you get given a gown to put on. I wasn't given any info at the time. The report was sent overnight to my GP and I got the results the following afternoon.

Hope they get to the source of the problem and it isn't anything nasty.

madamy Wed 23-Jul-08 17:11:50

Q1 - ECg will need you to be bare chested apart from your bra so a blouse/shirt might be best. An Xray will be clothed.

Q2 - the ECG technician should be able to basically interpret the ECG, whether she tells you anything is anyone's guess! The radiographer won't be able to tell you anything though - it's like taking a photo on film, the picture needs to be developed which doesn't happen straight away.

hth!

mazzystar Wed 23-Jul-08 17:13:10

thanks for replying
lu - off to aintree for ecg and xrays, walton for lung function
have been feeling very tight-chested and short of breath and tired all the time. all v weird and odd. blood tests were all fine. so god only knows what it is

TheFallenMadonna Wed 23-Jul-08 17:13:12

Is it just my hospital where they make you take your clothes off for a chest X-ray then?

mazzystar Wed 23-Jul-08 17:14:15

mmm

ok add a level of daftness to the xray thing
can i wear an underwired bra?

lulumama Wed 23-Jul-08 17:14:26

bugger, would have had DCs or come with you if local one. hope all goes well, and you find out what it is,. and it is nothing too serious

mazzystar Wed 23-Jul-08 17:33:06

aw lulu you're a sweetheart, really you are
I am alright with going on my own - and dcs will be at nursery so it won;t be unfeasibly stressful
lol at the thought of taking dd to any kind of medical appt.

brimfull Wed 23-Jul-08 17:48:42

you'll need to take your bra and your top clothes off for chest xray.Thy will give you a gown though so no one will see your tits.

the ecg -well you may have to expose your tits for that one depends on how many leads they use.

don't worry though they won't even notice your tits lol

lulumama Wed 23-Jul-08 17:51:40

let us know how you get on smile

TigerFeet Wed 23-Jul-08 17:54:52

When I had a chest xray I had to strip completely from the waist upwards and put on a hospital gown. I had to take my necklace off too.

Good luck

Winetimeisfinetime Wed 23-Jul-08 18:24:20

Don't do what I did, mazzystar, when I had my first ever chest x ray. I was told to go into the cubicle which was in the x ray room and strip off and come out when I was ready. So I stripped off completely and then put my high heeled shoes back on as I didn't want to walk barefoot across the cold floor and teetered out, stark naked except for my stilettos, to be greeted by a very embarrassed looking male nurse who said " You need put the gown on that's behind the door".

cocolepew Wed 23-Jul-08 18:27:34

grin Winetime! You strumpet.
Hope it goes well mazzy.

mazzystar Wed 23-Jul-08 18:37:08

Thanks for the tip winetime
And thank for the well-wishing, it's kind of y'all
Part of me is v anxious - I mean what are they expecting to find, fgs; part of me thinks I am just a bit knackered and my Dr was reassuring.

mazzystar Thu 24-Jul-08 16:17:58

ok, i managed to dress appropriately
it was all wonderfully quick, only 15 mins wait for each [and it was walk-in, no appointments needed]
ecg all fine, get xray results within a fortnight
so my money's - hopefully - on asthma

lulumama Thu 24-Jul-08 16:19:27

glad to hear it was ok! FWIW, i was diagnosed with asthma a few weeks ago, and a short course of steroid tablets, followed by a steroid inhaler has really helped! hope you are ok soon xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now