Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

vomiting baby and high temperature

(15 Posts)
jimblejambles Wed 23-Jul-08 10:12:50

ds2 (9 momths) has been throwing up all night and has got a high temperature. He obviously feels rotten (lots of whinging and moaning).
I can't give him calpol cos he keeps throwing up. He wants to feed but throws up after each feed.
I have rung the doctor they won't let him in the surgery until he stops being sick and as he is just getting over chicken pox. they close at lunchtime.
I don't know what to do- do I keep feeding him in the hope he is getting some fluids into his system? His nappies are quite dry.
anyone got any ideas?

belgo Wed 23-Jul-08 10:15:07

Keep giving him fluids, small amounts and often. If you are breastfeeding, carry on breastfeeding. But he really needs to see a doctor, as with dry nappies he could be getting dehydrated. Phone the GP again and insist he sees someone. If that fails, you should take him to A&E.

HeadFairy Wed 23-Jul-08 10:16:04

I'd call the surgery back and insist on speaking to a doctor, they can't just ignore you if you have a young child being ill. If they still refuse to see you without being too melodramatic I'd take him to casualty. It might sound like over reacting but vomiting all night with no fluids would worry me too much.

And then I'd make a serious complaint about your gps surgery.

Flllight Wed 23-Jul-08 10:16:18

If he is just getting over chicken pox he needs to be seen quite urgently as I think there are some serious complications that can arise. Please be persistent as he shouldn#'t be having these symptoms. If necessary please try A&E. There are lots of people on here who know more than me but I had to answer.

3littlefrogs Wed 23-Jul-08 10:19:17

So they won't let him into the surgery??? did you speak to the doctor? What advice did they give you?

TBH - as he is so small, I would suggest phoning nhs direct. If he was over 12 months I would suggest the usual clear fluids, ice lollies, calpol/nurofen routine - but at 9 months really needs to see a doctor.

It could be a virus or an ear infection anything so he really needs to be seen.

Flllight Wed 23-Jul-08 10:20:14

Please let us know how you get on, I'm concerned about this. Stupid surgery. He's just a baby!

3littlefrogs Wed 23-Jul-08 10:23:46

Was it the receptionist who said you couldn't bring him to the surgery?

That's fine if the GP is going to come and do a home visit - but in this day and age i guess that is very unlikely.

They must have a consulting room away from everyone else where they can see potentially infectious cases.

I just can't get my head around any health professional who would refuse to see a feverish, vomiting baby.

flamingtoaster Wed 23-Jul-08 10:32:34

That is a ridiculous response from your surgery when a baby is so obviously poorly. When my daughter had an unidentified rash and I phoned the surgery and told them the problem I asked if we could wait in a separate room because I was worried she might come into contact with someone who was pregnant. When I arrived I immediately headed to the top of the queue and said, "We are to wait separately because she might be infectious" and we were immediately taken away from everyone.

Phone your surgery again. If they still won't let you come in ask for a home visit - dry nappies means DS2 needs to be checked over today. If the surgery closes, and they won't do a home visit, then contact the out-of-hours service or go to A&E. Hope you can be seen soon.

Mimsy2000 Wed 23-Jul-08 10:33:10

your gp's response is crazy - what else are they they for other than sick babies!?

either call your GP back and demand an emergency appointment or call NHS direct and they will sort you out. they take anything with babies very seriously and will get a nurse or doctor to speak to you.

good luck - sounds like you are getting a bunch of sh*t from your gp [receptionist]

fymandbean Wed 23-Jul-08 10:37:24

If you can't give calpol you can get paracetamol suppositories for children, check the dose, as you want the baby strength ones (about 125??) - they are expensive though!

I agree with all other posts... needs to be seen

belgo Wed 23-Jul-08 13:23:56

ANy result jimbles?

jimblejambles Wed 23-Jul-08 13:38:33

Had no luck at the surgery so have booked an appointment at the out of hours clinic for this afternoon.
ds2 seems better he has had 2 feeds and kept them down. still has temperature though.
we have been out for some fresh air and he seems a bit brighter.
Am going to wait to see what out of hours dr says then going to write a letter to practise manager.

belgo Wed 23-Jul-08 13:39:39

glad you've got an appointment for this afternoon, and that he continues to keep some food down.

Mimsy2000 Wed 23-Jul-08 13:55:42

glad you are going to finally get some help. hope your little one continues to improve.

3littlefrogs Wed 23-Jul-08 22:40:28

I hope you got some advice and help, and that your ds is a bit better this evening.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: