Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

HELP!

(8 Posts)
Bertolli Tue 22-Jul-08 23:17:01

I think i am pregnant (not planned), but, a few weeks ago, without knowing this, i took Ovex for threadworm (whole family took as is advised). I am now a bit panicy as it says on box do not take if pregnant.

I have been googling and it stays don't touch it, especially in first trimester..Oh God..

Could my doing this have harmed baby?

TIA

Bertolli Tue 22-Jul-08 23:21:36

Any health professionals out there?

Has this happened to anyone else?

kid Tue 22-Jul-08 23:47:46

Just been looking online. I have managed to find out that Ovex contains the active ingredient mebendazole and then I saw this

'During pregnancy, hygiene methods alone are preferred. Mebendazole and piperazine are best avoided during pregnancy, especially in the first trimester. Mebendazole is poorly absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract and is unlikely to cause harm to the fetus although toxicity has been noted in animal studies. There is no evidence that exposure to piperazine during pregnancy is harmful to the fetus, but its use during pregnancy is not recommended, and it should especially be avoided in the first trimester'

Of you need to find out first if you are pregnant and then see what tests can be done to find out for sure if all is ok. Good luck

Bertolli Tue 22-Jul-08 23:58:53

Kid, thank you so much for taking the time to look!
How utterly kind.

I am over two weeks late, but preg test says negative.
Not sure what to do. Wait a bit longer to see if AF is just severely late?

Have two babies already, am sensing i might be preggers, but am ridiculously worried about this worm med.. i read something along the lines of "increase in foetal abnormalities"

Need to get a grip blush

kid Wed 23-Jul-08 00:02:42

The more you stress, the worse you will feel. Go Drs, 2 weeks late is reason enough for them to test you and they may send you for an early scan or something just to check. Aren't their tests more sensitive?

I did read that the medication should be avoided during pregnancy but thought that quote above was reassuring.

Go Drs, get it checked out and then report back!

Bertolli Wed 23-Jul-08 00:13:02

(Sorry for delay, internet went down grrr)

Okay! Thanks matey!

my dh is away with work, so am lacking that other person to tell me vaguely what to do!

I posted last night and a couple of posters said they have been even later than two weeks, one lady was 17 days late! So maybe same here..

Thanks again. x

StarlightMcKenzie Wed 23-Jul-08 00:18:55

Message withdrawn

Bertolli Wed 23-Jul-08 09:11:37

thanks starlight, that's a very good point.

i was feeling doubly annoyed because i'm pretty sure i didn't have tw anyway, was just doing it as precaution.

Still testing negative this am anyway, so we'll see..la la la..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now