Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Black/grey tooth in 2 year old - worried!

(12 Posts)
Gobbledigook Mon 07-Feb-05 19:40:32

I've just noticed tonight that ds2 has got a tooth that is discoloured - it's his middle right front tooth and to me it's glaringly obvious and I've never noticed it before.

Does anyone know what could have caused it, if anything can be done or had experience of this themselves.

In my head I've already got him being bullied at school due to black tooth or missing tooth and I'm stressing.

moondog Mon 07-Feb-05 19:44:46

gdg, my little girl has had two like this since the age of 18months.
Dentist said she'd obviously knocked them but I have no recollection of anything like this happening and I know if something had happened in nursery they would have told me. I can't remember it appearing either. one day it was just there!
Dentist also said that nothing could be done. Just have to wait for them to fall out.
Feel very bad about this,especially as I am BIG on teeth. My claim to fame is that I have no fillings although I am 37 (smug emoticon)

Gobbledigook Mon 07-Feb-05 19:52:03

oh no, I really don't want him to have a grey tooth - his little teeth look lovely all white.

I'm big on teeth too and only have 2 small fillings myself (and I'm told by my excellent dentist that the crap one I had when working in London did them unnecessarily too - this dentist at home I've had since I was little and he's never done any work on my teeth )

I actually feel sick now. I know it's not life threatening and I shouldn't be stressing...but I am.

Gobbledigook Mon 07-Feb-05 19:53:17

I guess he could have knocked it quite easily - he's always walking into doors or getting into scrapes with his brother so it's very feasible it could have happened today - gutted.

efmach Mon 07-Feb-05 19:57:35

Gobbledigook, my son did this when he was 3 years old. He hit his mouth on a climbing frame and it wasn't until a few days later that I noticed that his tooth had gone grey. I took him to the dentist who didn't seem too bothered. Funnily enough, the tooth returned back to it's normal colour (can't remember how long it took) and I can only think that the blood supply to the affected tooth recovered itself. Amazing!

moondog Mon 07-Feb-05 19:58:10

I know I know. It pains me GREATLY, even though the dentist said it happens very easily as there is no root to speak of so they are very vulnerable.

emmatmg Mon 07-Feb-05 20:01:01

Ds1 has a grey tooth (seems our boys want to be the same too) that he got years ago falling off a stall.

The dentist said that the nerve supplying the blood was cut/damaged so that's why the tooth appears grey. However, the nerve can repair itself and the tooth will turn white again.
It didn't with DS1 but TBH when he fell there was alot of blood from the gum/tooth so I can pretty much assume the nerve was shredded in his case.

wheresmyfroggy Mon 07-Feb-05 20:02:12

It might be in trauma..............as emma says they can recover from this apparently.

Gobbledigook Mon 07-Feb-05 20:03:11

Emmatmg - this is toooo spooky!! Hmm, no blood from ds2's mouth recently but he did crack into the dining room door yesterday so it could have been that. I'm hoping it will repair but I guess it's gonna fall out at some point anyway being a baby tooth.

Joolstoo Mon 07-Feb-05 20:12:35

that's one clumsy boy you have there GDG!

Cristina7 Mon 07-Feb-05 20:15:20

My son hurt his front teeth on the scooter handle. Shortly after (a week or so) he had a blue/black front tooth. I took him to the dentist who said that it may or may not return back to normal. The blue colour is due to the blood coming out of the blood vessels. She said they do not treat decidual teeth because the only way to treat them is to kill the nerve and it's not worth the pain (from the anaesthetic, presumably). So, she said wait and see. We did and some other 3 weeks later it came back to normal. He was lucky. I asked if his teeth underneath will have been affected. The dentist said she can't predict, maybe yes, maybe no. If affected, it could be a matter of shape only, so they'll come out mishapen, rather than function. If this is the case, then they'll deal with it at the time. I hope your little one is as lucky as mine was and he gets away with it.

Gobbledigook Mon 07-Feb-05 20:16:49

Me too Christina - thanks for that. I'm hoping that since I don't know how he did it and it can't have been bad as there was no blood, that it may not be too badly damaged. We'll see!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now