Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

what is this awful rash??

(24 Posts)
princessofpower Tue 22-Jul-08 20:13:38

Message withdrawn

StarSparkle Tue 22-Jul-08 20:15:14

chicken pocks? Or singles as they are known in adults?

StarSparkle Tue 22-Jul-08 20:16:17

lol... i meant shingles !

herbietea Tue 22-Jul-08 20:16:49

Message withdrawn

DontNeedAnything Tue 22-Jul-08 20:18:30

Shingles doesn't usually affect the limbs, and it is almost always localised to one part of the body - usually a band around the trunk.

It does sound like a pox virus with the clear blisters.

princessofpower Tue 22-Jul-08 20:21:30

Message withdrawn

DontNeedAnything Tue 22-Jul-08 20:25:48

I can't remember which way round round it is - but I think that you have to have had chicken pox to have shingles.

Shicngles does start liek chicken pox, but the blisters all join up. BUT the blisters are not as widespread as you describe. They occur within an area covered by 1 or 2 nerves on the body. You don't get shingles on legs and arms and back AFAIK.

DontNeedAnything Tue 22-Jul-08 20:26:47

How big are the blisters? are they goosebump sized or bigger? have you had a sore throat recently?

DontNeedAnything Tue 22-Jul-08 20:32:12

impetigo? scroll down?

princessofpower Tue 22-Jul-08 20:38:01

Message withdrawn

DontNeedAnything Tue 22-Jul-08 20:39:46

I don't think it crusts for the first few days.

Orinoco Tue 22-Jul-08 20:41:34

Message withdrawn

princessofpower Tue 22-Jul-08 20:49:43

Message withdrawn

Rosieglow Tue 22-Jul-08 20:51:23

If it's really, really itchy (& I mean unbearably, have to scratch itchy)- look up urticaria. I think this can be set of by a virus. DH had it & I think was told to get antihistamines.

DontNeedAnything Tue 22-Jul-08 20:54:47

Have you been seen with the purpuera rash (the non disappearing one)? If not I think you should get that seen sooner rather than later. That can be life threatening if left untreated, even for hours.

princessofpower Tue 22-Jul-08 20:55:10

Message withdrawn

princessofpower Tue 22-Jul-08 21:10:31

Message withdrawn

Honneybunny Tue 22-Jul-08 21:10:38

agree with rosieglow: you can get post-viral hives (or urticaria), which is incredibly itchy, and looks like what you described.
i get them regularly, and usually take a antihistamine as soon as i feel them coming up (with me it starts with one tiny patch and then within 15 minutes spreads everywhere over my arms, legs, bum, back, tummy, etc.
if you have piriton in the house (this is antihistamine that you can give kids if they have chickenpox) you could try taking a bit. but just to be sure, do make appointment with your gp (even if crappy grin)

princessofpower Tue 22-Jul-08 21:12:10

Message withdrawn

Honneybunny Tue 22-Jul-08 21:13:52

cross-posted- don't do inches, but sounds reasonably contained. do know how itchy it is though and that you just want to get rid (the intense itchyness always drives me crazy)

Honneybunny Tue 22-Jul-08 21:16:04

yeah i know the type, we have some of those in our local clinic as well... fortunately my own gp is actually quite a nice guy.
if you are sure it is urticaria you could just go to pharmacy and get over the counter antihistamines (would probably work out cheaper as well).

princessofpower Tue 22-Jul-08 21:30:49

Message withdrawn

Honneybunny Wed 23-Jul-08 08:00:50

i have benadryl, and am also still nursing (although ds2 is already 2.5yo).

there are two kinds of formulation of those, one 24hr (you take only one a day) and one that you need to take more regularly. the one that is 24hr has cetirizine in it. according to "Kellymom www.kellymom.com/health/meds/cold-remedy.html" benadryl is safe for nursing mums. but do check (because of the two differenct formulations). i think generally non-drowsy ones are better than drowsy ones, and not much of them passes into the milk. i have not found any effect on my milk supply, not by benadryl or zyrtec (which i used once when on holiday, when ds1 was 6mo and i had most awful hives).

if you're not sure ask the pharmacist, and also check kellymom.

princessofpower Wed 23-Jul-08 09:54:30

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now