Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Warning about nail varnish remover

(4 Posts)
Habbibu Tue 22-Jul-08 20:03:35

You probably all know about this, but thought I'd post a cautionary tale. My niece (dn1) (almost 3) goes to sleep in my sister's bed, as her sister (dn2) won't give her a minute's peace to go to sleep. Last night sister and BIL heard a blood-curdling scream, rushed upstairs to find dn1 screaming, with both her and the bed soaked in nail varnish remover, and liquid dripping off her mouth. They called 999, and an ambulance came quickly to take them to the children's hospital. She'd vomited before the ambulance came, and had a thorough check over at hospital.
She's fine, thank goodness, but apparently it could have been a lot worse - acetone strips the stomach lining, and had it got into her lungs it can cause irritation and affect breathing. Now, obviously, it is one of those things that in hindsight you'd definitely think about, but I thought I'd post in case anyone else has got bottles lying round in their bedside drawers - am shamed to say that I did too (have moved it now, obv). Apparently non-acetone varnish removers are less toxic to children.

Habbibu Tue 22-Jul-08 22:26:49

bumping for evening crowd

pgwithnumber3 Tue 22-Jul-08 22:28:34

Oh god, glad she is okay -You poor sister and her DD. I had the nail polish remover out today <goes and stores it away>

Bundle Tue 22-Jul-08 22:29:30

mine already on top of highest shelf in bathroom (I can barely reach)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now