Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

baby's heart is all fine, have been discharged from st thomas' for now, however...

(10 Posts)
misdee Tue 22-Jul-08 19:27:00

the consultant there would like a follow up scan done every 5 years. i'm quite happy to do this, but am dreading the fights to com with GP's for referrals. last time i was painted as overly paranoid by aqsking for the dd's to be scanned to check for cardiomyopathy. Now so far they are free from it, however the scan did pick up dd1 minor heart defect, which obviously would've gone undetected if i had not pushed for a scan.

but at least for now, no more trips into london for scans

LackaDAISYcal Tue 22-Jul-08 19:29:16

great news misdee smile

and buckets of strength for future battles with GPs, although if the consultant has asked for follow up scans every five years, surely he should write to your GP about this?

fryalot Tue 22-Jul-08 19:29:18

overly paranoid? shock

I s'pose it was a touch of man-flu that Peter had then? hmm

good news that baby is fine, btw. And good that they have asked to see you every 5 years, so you do have that to fall back on if the GP does get iffy with you...

HumphreySmallPillow Tue 22-Jul-08 19:29:31

that's great news, misdee.
what is your edd?

misdee Tue 22-Jul-08 19:31:55

19th november.

will just get asked to be referred straight back to guys and st thomas', thus avoding local hospital completely.

consultant was lovely. dh enjoyed the scan today, said it was a lot different to seeing a huge enlarged heart of the screen.

and that regular heartbeat was lvoely to hear.

misdee Tue 22-Jul-08 19:34:32

squonk, according to peters GP at the time he should've stopped moping and gone to work as that would've made himfeel better. when he was dx his consultant said it would've finished him off.

thank good we moved from that area and sh*tty GP.

SoupDragon Tue 22-Jul-08 19:34:51

fryalot Tue 22-Jul-08 19:35:33

thank god indeed, misdee!

eandh Tue 22-Jul-08 19:44:34

We have the same thing Misdee, DH has an heridertary (sp) heart condition (so far only appears to affect certain males, his grandfather, uncle, him and nephew but missed other uncle and dad)

I had pre natel scans done at Brompton with both pg (both girls which appears to be a good thing but we didnt know sex when we had dd1) I had 2 mc in between the girls and one was a boy so I often wonder if the heart condition was a factor.

Both girls have to be scan at 5 years old so that will be torture fun taking them to London!

misdee Tue 22-Jul-08 19:53:27

atm only dd1 has to be rechecked when she reaches 10, by harefield childrens team. she has a leaking mitral valve, which is pretty minor.

but will make sure this dd4 is checked at st thomas' as he actually understood cardiomyopathy. which the GP never can get his head around. though dh has said his named GP is pretty good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now