Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Circumcised at Age 6

(11 Posts)
Tippytoes Tue 22-Jul-08 16:44:44

My DS, 6, has to be circumcised for medical reasons. Has anyone any experience of this at this age?

Thanks

redclover79 Tue 22-Jul-08 17:28:12

No experience but will lurk as ds2 probably has to be circumcised at some point...

bossykate Tue 22-Jul-08 17:28:39

yes, what do you want to know?

Tippytoes Wed 23-Jul-08 11:20:59

I would like to know how painful it is going to be for him and how long he will be in pain for - do lots of baths help afterwards?

bossykate Thu 24-Jul-08 06:32:18

hi tippytoes

i can't tell you how painful it will be for your boy, but we were told to stock up on the calpol and children's nurofen and in the event hardly needed to use them.

we were told to avoid baths for 48 hours.

ds was off school for a week, and no p.e. or games for another week after that.

no playground for a week, in fact very little physical activity at all allowed for a week.

no pants and loose fitting shorts/trousers for a week.

no swimming or cycling allowed for 2 weeks after the op.

the tip of ds's penis got a little sore after the op, we think from the unaccustomed abrasion of pants etc. also his urine stream was divided for a few days. both of these resolved themselves, although we did schedule a follow up appointment with the hospital.

basically, he was fine.

please let me know if there is anything else you would like to know.

btw, ds was 6y 10m at the time of the op.

Tippytoes Thu 24-Jul-08 14:11:59

Thanks bossykate for that, I am reassured now that it will be fine. Just feel so sorry for him. He will be exactly the same age as your ds was when he had it done.

I have been through all this with DH about 16 years ago and remember it not being too nice for him as an adult!

Aniyan Thu 24-Jul-08 14:30:51

Tippytoes, there's a thread here that you may find useful: www.mumsnet.com/Talk?topicid=138&threadid=540408#11033101

I've also pasted my story from that thread here - the short version is, my ds had it done at 6 and is 8 now and all is well - here's the long version grin :

DS was circumcised when he was 6.

The op itself was so quick he hardly seemed to be in there at all. It's horrible seeing your child anaesthetized - it was my 3rd time with ds but still hit me hard (and I'm pretty pragmatic about such things) - so don't be surprised if you seem to react more strongly than you thought you would - the staff expect it and will look after you!

He had the op in the morning and went home that afternoon. They like your child to have had a drink, a meal and a pee before they let them go home.

Afterwards he was a bit sore and didn't want to look at it, but peeing was fine (we let him pee in the bath at first - much more soothing!). It was the pulling up and down of his trousers rather than the actual peeing that worried him most.

He lived in baggy tracksuit bottoms and no underpants for a week or so, and was a bit 'sensitive' for quite a while, but he healed very quickly, and we didn't need to use any creams or anything.

The main side-effect was that, for months, he wouldn't look at his winky (family name for it - sorry if it's a bit cutesy!), as he thought it looked strange. We were very matter-of-fact and reassuring about it, but he did get a bit tearful sometimes and wish it was like it 'used to be in the olden days' sad, although he also freely admitted that it 'behaved' much better after the op. We were starting to wonder what to do about it, when one day he just shouted from his room, 'Mummy ! I'm looking at my winky!' - cue lots of hugs and a big treat, and after that he was fine - and he still is.

I'm really glad we had it done and so is he now. Hope this reassures you a bit smile

suzywong Thu 24-Jul-08 14:46:57

Is the problem inability to retract the foreskin?

if yes read on if no then carry on as you were

is a circumcision the final decision?

I only ask as we thought the same for my ds1 when he was 6, we even had the op tee-ed up with the paed surgeon then dh got cold feet and the paed surgeon's locum suggested having another go with betnovate type low steriod cream to thin the foreskin and after 4 weeks of applying twice a day ( it hadn't worked 12 months previously) he can retract his foreskin and doesn' t need the op

suzywong Thu 24-Jul-08 14:46:58

Is the problem inability to retract the foreskin?

if yes read on if no then carry on as you were

is a circumcision the final decision?

I only ask as we thought the same for my ds1 when he was 6, we even had the op tee-ed up with the paed surgeon then dh got cold feet and the paed surgeon's locum suggested having another go with betnovate type low steriod cream to thin the foreskin and after 4 weeks of applying twice a day ( it hadn't worked 12 months previously) he can retract his foreskin and doesn' t need the op

Tippytoes Thu 24-Jul-08 14:55:37

Thank both for the advise - I will look at the thread in a minute.

Yes he can't retract the foreskin at all - tiny hole and it balloons when he wees and he has been having some discomfort lately.

The doctor in the hosp last week said that it was very unlikely it would ever go back on it own.

suzywong Thu 24-Jul-08 14:59:54

well that's what we were told too ... obviously your son's comfort is paramount but we got a second opinion and are very glad we did now. Good luck with whatever you decide to do

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now