Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Advice about repetitive styes please (don't read whilst eating)

(9 Posts)
suwoo Tue 22-Jul-08 16:06:13

DH is continually getting styes, one at a time but in both eyes IYSWIM. They are not just the little annoying ones, they are big fuck off huge pus filled ones <<vomits>>. They are always in the lower lid and if you pull it down you can see a big bulge of pus. The outside of his eye where his lower lashes are,swells to the size of a pea. The Dr says he is just prone to them, but he is in some he says pain discomfort and is a bit embarrassed by the appearance. Anyone got any other ideas apart from the optrex drops the doc suggested?

suwoo Tue 22-Jul-08 21:52:06

Anyone???

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 22-Jul-08 22:42:52

I think that sometimes washing the eyelid margins with a teeny spot of baby shampoo on a wet flannel regularly is recommended? Its what my mum was told to do.

wigparty Tue 22-Jul-08 22:48:01

Hi Suwoo - I have exactly the same problem, and was bizarrely talking to gp about it today.

I get repeated styes on both lower lids (had 2 at the same time a few weeks ago blush). A year ago, I couldn't even tell you when I'd last had a stye, if ever!

Like your DH, these aren't little things, they are big f*kers that will usually reside and so pop up again a week or so later.

They are pretty damn sore too, I sympathise with your DH.

I asked gp about it today and she was at a loss to explain why. She said swimming could exacerbate them, but I certainly don't swim on a regular basis!

All she could suggest was to use a cotton bud dipped in warm salty water and run along the lower rims of the lids once a day.

Hope that helps. I'm going to give it a go. Have to admit i was a bit relieved when reading this to know it's not just me who's getting them so regularly!

Hope your DH can get them better.

pipsqueak Tue 22-Jul-08 22:52:36

i got some ointment from hte chemists for styes to aply when before the stye develops as soon as yo uget the feeling hat one is coming. it was called brolene i think and hve to say twas very effective and in fact after hving 5 or 6 a year dd1 does nnot now get any ... hope this helps

wigparty Tue 22-Jul-08 22:57:28

Hi pipsqueak. I actually tried brolene and it didn't help with mine. I found the most effective thing was to apply a hot compress to the swelling (cotton pad in hot salty water) and it brought it to a head (sorry!).

Suwoo, it's worth your DH trying brolene though if he hasn't already.

TBH, I think 'you're prone to styes' (as was said to me) is rolled out because they don't know what's causing them grin

smartiejake Tue 22-Jul-08 23:00:31

The treatments my dd uses for these are Goldeneye or Brolene. But get the ointment not the drops. The ointment goes where you want it and the drops just drip,off!

Try to treat the stye the second you see the redness on the eyelid. When dd gets these we usually manage to prevent them turning nasty by using the ointment quick smart. If they happen regularly best to have some in the house.

suwoo Wed 23-Jul-08 08:33:35

Hi All, He has tried the brolene and it doesn't do anything, but I will tell him to apply it when he gets the first feeling he is getting one. I think the idea of the cotton bud and salty water is a great one and should be feasible for him. Wigparty, how strange that you are suffering the same thing too, at least you know its not just you. How awful for you to have this though, I think DH can get away with it a bit more as he is a fella- its not a good look though is it wink

wigparty Wed 23-Jul-08 09:43:40

It certainly isn't a good look Suwoo! If I have them and I'm going out, I'll put some cover up on them to try and tone them down (which I'm sure doesn't help with getting rid of them!).

Hope the salt water helps for your DH.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now