Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

from nothing to 5K run between now and September - is it realistic?

(8 Posts)
cthea Tue 22-Jul-08 14:24:23

That's it, really, just wondering if this is realistic. I'm not v overweight and healthy otherwise. How much training would you need for this?

freshprincess Tue 22-Jul-08 14:44:03

Assuming this is a fun run and not the Olympics, the def do-able - you can walk 5k in less than an hour.

Once you've worked out your 5K training route then you should try to do it twice a week. At first I used to run for two lamp posts, walk for two, then gradually drop the walking part as I got fitter.

To keep your motivation up try getting someone to drop you 5K away from home, then you have to run back!

Runners World will have some training plans.

BeachedWhale Tue 22-Jul-08 14:44:07

Have a look at a website called coolrunning.com. There is a program called Couch to 5km on there. I started running in October last year and by early Jan this year I could run 5km and I hadn't run (or done any exercise for that matter) for 20 years. I tried to run 2 to 3 times a week and I found that I improved reasonably quickly. The first time I went out running I could only go about 100 yards before I felt like I would die. This weekend I took part in the BUPA Capital 10km run in Hyde Park - my first ever running event. Initially I ran to try to lose a bit of weight but I found out that running makes you hungry! I'm the same weight but fitter and the stress relief I get from it is great. Good luck.

Furball Tue 22-Jul-08 14:54:49

you need to see the first post on this thread there is a link to a podcast to do it in 8 or 9 weeks (hopefully it's not until the end september!!) anyway rawb talks you through making it easy - all of us on that thread are proof.

Good luck and join us there if you fancy it.

cthea Tue 22-Jul-08 14:55:07

Thank you for the replies, the links and the encouragement.

It IS a fun run but thinking of raising money at the same time (there's a v accessible target to join in, though) so I want to make sure I finish it in a decent time. I hadn't thought that I could walk the remainder if it really came to it.

I'll tell DH about it as he'd need to look after the children while I do the training. Shame no weight loss is guaranteed

cthea Tue 22-Jul-08 14:56:06

Thanks, Furball, I didn't know about that thread. I'll have a snoop.

Lizzylou Tue 22-Jul-08 14:57:38

5km takes about 30mins, so if you are relatively fit and increase your running steadily, I'd say it was very do-able!
<<Must get my backside into gear and get my running shoes on again>>

cthea Tue 22-Jul-08 19:15:48

I've talked it over with my DH. I'll try our local Park Run this Saturday which is for 5K. So I'll need new trainers, new shorts, an MP3 or similar. Lovely!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now