Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Tomorrow my youngest is having his measles jab and I am dreading it

(11 Posts)
itati Tue 22-Jul-08 13:00:01

He is 3 and he is having the single measles jab. It has been put off as long as possible but he starts school next year so it needs to be done.

He had a tough time when I was carrying him and a traumatic birth, so I have always felt he was more vunerable than his siblings. A friend has assured me he is fine now and will be fine after the jab, but I am concerned about him developing autism after the jab.

I know nothing about it so would appreciate any advice anyone can give me. I know it is a contensious topic and I really don't want to cause any upset, but I guess what I want to know is, if he was going to develop autism, would he have done so by now?

TIA.

dinny Tue 22-Jul-08 13:01:51

where are you having it done?

personally speaking, both my dd (6) and ds(3) have had single measles jab and been fine, bar a normal immune response at about 7 days post-jab

itati Tue 22-Jul-08 13:05:52

We are going to eltham. Our other children had all their single jabs there too.

My eldst son has had some sort of reaction to most of his jabs and one of my children was a bit poorly after the measles one.

I am taking Calpol and chocolate buttons tomorrow but not sure when to give the Calpol. Normally we do it within 15-20 minutes of the jab but I am wondering whether to do it before to ease the pain of the needle.

cyberseraphim Tue 22-Jul-08 13:26:07

The DSM Criteria for Autism requires that 'onset' is before 3 years. That probably won't re assure you in itself but just for info. There are other developmental disorders that can be be diagnosed at later ages but I really wouldn't worry about it, it sounds like he is absolutely fine.

dinny Tue 22-Jul-08 13:26:52

our clinic says not before as it would mask any temperature (and they won't vaccinate if they have a temp)

it's never made dd or ds evenm flinch having a jab at our clinic (they do them in the bum)

Twiglett Tue 22-Jul-08 13:28:32

give calpol 30 minutes before if he doesn't have a temp

he'll be fine .. DS had sepvax at Eltham

itati Wed 23-Jul-08 07:29:37

Today is the day. sad

DS2 refused to go to bed last night and it took me 1 hour to get him setteld. He has recently started getting up once put down though. He was then awake at 11pm which is not like him. Up this morning full of beans. Meanwhile I didn't sleep and I feel really sick. MIL assures me he will be fine. Dreading it for all sorts of reasons.

itati Wed 23-Jul-08 11:22:58

I realise I am talking to myself but I will post anyway. grin

Jab done. DS2 was a star. Not a wimper out of him. Bit of a worry when the injection site came up in a red rash so we got the nurse to look at him again. By the time we got home less than an hour later it had gone. Staying in for a quiet day. DS2 is watching teletubbies so he is happy.

spicemonster Wed 23-Jul-08 11:26:58

Glad it wasn't as bad as you thought. Mine had his the other month. He's got mumps in a couple of weeks. I think the single jab process is more traumatic for parents

boohockey Wed 23-Jul-08 11:35:50

Well done you! It's a terrifying moment but I feel sure you have done the right thing, I had measles as a child and nearly died - it was a terrible time for me and my family and I wouldn't wish that year on anyone.
All over now - get yourself a glass of wine tonight!! wink

itati Wed 23-Jul-08 11:44:45

Only two more jabs to do...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now