Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

8 yr old son in hospital with diabetes, anybody got experience of this?

(23 Posts)
jeanclaudedamvan Tue 22-Jul-08 09:50:15

hope you dont mind a bloke on here,i just wondered if anybody has been through this as i know nothing.he went to doctors yesterday, she found sugar in his wee,sent to hospital still in there running tests.its looking like he is going to be insulin dependant,
any advice from anybody would be greatfully received.
thank you e

HumphreySmallPillow Tue 22-Jul-08 09:52:19

No advice, I'm afraid.
Just wanted to post to say that I hope they manage to get your DS stabilised, and that he is home soon.
Bumping for anyone with any experience.

moondog Tue 22-Jul-08 09:53:44

Spidermama went through similar with her smalldsayear or so ago. She postedalot at the time so look in the archives.
They came through fine.

Bimblin Tue 22-Jul-08 09:59:46

A very good website is www.childrenwithdiabetes.com

TheMagnificent7 Tue 22-Jul-08 10:23:03

Morning. Sorry to hear about this worry. I was diagnosed as a type 1 insulin dependent about 21 years ago, when I was 19. If it is diabetes, and hold out until they confirm, then its a big thing to get your head round, and his as well. There are many charities and help groups to show oyou the way through. Start here with Diabetes UK, they are the foremost source of information. They also link to all diabetes friendly assciations, insurance companies, and people with interest.

First and foremost, it's important not to make him feel like he has a disease, as it is referred to, or disabled, as it can be classed. I tell my children a bit of me just conked out (which essentially it is). It's not really been proved where it comes from 100%. Mine was due to severe obesity as a child, but it's know to come from trauma, and is possibly inherited, although the parent doesn't have to be diabetic. Whatver the reason, it's important to establish a routine for it, just like brushing your teeth. It's a desperately serious illness, but has very simple rules. Always have lucozade with you, remember that excercise and heat push the sugar levels down immediately, don;'t panic EVER and give an injection if you aren't sure, and always involve your son in the thought process.

Little things matter. It's a life threatening problem, so don't ever rely on other people to consider it for you, that's just selfish. Your son will always be able to eat whatever he wants, just not in the quantity that he may like. Being near a chocolate bar won't kill him, and he won't need to be spoken to loudly, or sit down all the time (these are all things that I get regularly, still!). He'll be able to live a happy, normal, active life, as long as he sticks to the rules.

Pschologically, he'll probably rebel, and think he can master the diabetes. I tried, everyone does, and everyone, including me, failed. You have to stick to the rules forever, and that's a mighty long time.

The biggest problem areas are with nerve endings dying from having to high a blood sugar reading. Because the effects are subtle, and not immediate, it's difficul;t to notice them. But, as is typical with most diabetics, I am partially sighted now (even having had over 7000 shots with lasers to burn away the damage), I have sensation in only 8 fingers, and I have no sensation in my feet at all. Nothing. Which means constant monitoring for diabetic foot ulcers, the most common cause of amputation.

Sorry if this sounds grim, but I wish I'd known.

On the plus side, injections are a piece of cake. You'll be given very easy to use insulin pens, where you just dial up how much you want, stick the tiny needle in your thigh, and its done. I have been injecting through my clothes for 21 years and it catagorically does not cause a problem, so don't worry about having to find somewhere private to inject.

Companies fall over themselves to give you stuff like blood sugar meters, and new pens, and anything associated as it is huge business for them. He will receive free prescriptions for everything forever now, and will always have free sight tests. I'm just finding out about motability car allowances, and i'm hoping that I fall into the scheme. Not because I have trouble walking, which sometimes I do because I let things slip, but because they practically give cars away and thats the only benefit I'll let myself take. Also, as long as he pays attention to his body, it will be relatively easy to live a normal life.

My number one TOP TIP that one day I hope you remember me for : Diabetics have to have their fingers pricked for blood sugar tests all the time. It hurts. And it makes your fingers stupidly sensitive. A nurse in a hospital once told me that you should use the bottom of your ear, the very final point, and you'll never feel it, and get a good sample. She was so right. Always insist people use his ear, and he'll not feel it, and get an accurate reading.

There's loads of great books on diabetic food, especially the Anthony Worrall Thompson range. And if you look around, people like McDonalds have diabetic unit breakdowns of their whole menu.

I hope you are ok. It's difficult for the parents too. It's a bumpy road, physically as well as pshychologically. But it's an easy road if you accept that diabetes is, for the time being, permanent and not to be messed with.

Love to hear back and see what the results are.

HumphreySmallPillow Tue 22-Jul-08 10:28:17

jeanclaudedamvan Tue 22-Jul-08 11:14:21

thanks for the advice, its very much appreciated . the x wife is with him at hospital but the bedside phone number she text to me is a vacant number and her phone is turned off.i wll go and see him and find out whats happening, and get back to you
thanks again e

TheMagnificent7 Tue 22-Jul-08 11:36:59

Good for you. He'll need you both

Bimblin Tue 22-Jul-08 12:56:03

TheMagnificent7 - I appreciate you are trying to give a balanced picture and I think at some point its worth doing that butjeanclaude has just found out and your stuff is going to be a bit of a shocker.
I've had type 1 for 29 years and I don't have anything like the problems you do, and I know plenty of healthy type ones - I don't think you can say all diabetics are partially sighted.

Jeanclaude, just do some reading if you can or you can call the Diabetes UK helpline

TheMagnificent7 Tue 22-Jul-08 13:33:35

This is no place for a row Bimblin. Glad you're an agnel. All of the peopl I know that had it from a early age have had problems, and it's lack of serious awareness that's been a problem, especially from adults.

I feel belittled by your poxy post.

Bimblin Tue 22-Jul-08 14:22:15

Its not meant personally, I just don't think he should be given the worst case scenarios of complications before he's even had a diagnosis. Its too much to take in. I think the standard line is that you can live a pretty normal life if you take care of yourself.

TigerFeet Tue 22-Jul-08 14:32:01

FWIW DH has been Type 1 diabetic since he was 10 (30+ years ago) and has no ongoing health problems other than raised blood pressure and obviously the diabetes itself. He isn't always as good as he could be when it comes to controlling his blood sugar. Conversely I know of someone who maintained very strict control and still had problems. Some peopel are lucky I suppose, but it isn't a given that type 1 diabetics will have a long list of complications. His fingers don't hurt when he pricks them either - neither do mine for that matter although admittedly I'm not doing it several times a day, every day. People's experience of diabetes is different - there is no one size fits all.

TheMagnificent7 Tue 22-Jul-08 19:38:24

Fuck helping anyone on here again

TigerFeet Tue 22-Jul-08 21:07:58

shock

because people have said they don't have your experience?

I just wanted the OP to know that not everyone has the same experience as you

What's the problem with that?

You have a massive chip on your shoulder imo

Millie1 Tue 22-Jul-08 21:42:01

Hi Jeanclaude ... I'm really sorry to hear about your son. My DS2 was dx with Type 1 diabetes in Jan 07 at 3 years old. It's a huge thing to come to terms with but you'll be surprised at how quickly you learn to manage his levels and also understand the condition & use of insulin etc. The hospital will tell you what parameters you should aim to keep your son's sugar levels within and you will manage this with the right balance of insulin, food and exercise. Not always easy to do and sometimes so frustrating.

There are quite a few people on here with young children who have T1 and also a few adults who have had diabetes since childhood - they'll give loads of support and advice. The website mentioned by Bimblin is super - if the dx is confirmed, it's well worth while signing up for the UK mailing list. Plenty of knowledgable people who will give tonnes of support and advice.

Please keep us posted - I hope your son's levels weren't too high on admission and that he isn't kept in too long. If you've any questions, ask them and someone will answer them.

lulurose Tue 22-Jul-08 22:16:08

Hi JC, I'm sorry your sons possible diagnosis. My DD2 was diagnosed at 18 months old last Summer. She is now doing really well and her consultants say that with good management and todays technology the future for people with type one is bright. Even the most worrying complications can be addressed with early intervention.

There are days when it can really get you down, you can never take a break from Diabetes, but, in time you can get it to fit in with your life, not the other way round.

The CWD website is brilliant by the way.

Good luck, keep us posted.

tangarine Tue 22-Jul-08 22:29:15

Hi jeanclaude,

My ds, now 11, was diagnosed with diabetes when he was 5. It was his diagnosis anniversary last week, and it struck me then that he has now had more years with diabetes than without.

If it is diabetes your son will need insulin and regular (several times a day) blood glucose testing. It's a question of balancing food, exercise and insulin, and while it's not an exact science (if it were we'd be robots, not humans) you/your wife will find a way of managing it.

It's important that you remain involved, especially if you don't live with your ex-w and ds, so that you know how to look after your ds when he comes to stay.

I'm another regular user of the CWD mailing list - come and join us anytime for a chat or to ask questions. We are mostly mums, thought there are some dads posting there, and we are a friendly lot. Most importantly, we all know what it's like to have a child with diabetes. Have a look on spidermama and millie1's old threads for information about how to get to the mailing list from the CWD website.

One other thing - type 1 diabetes, if that's what it turns out to be, is an auto immune disease. Nothing that you/ds/ex-w have done will have caused it. It's a combination of genes and environment, not to be confused with type 2 which can be lifestyle related.

Best wishes and keep us posted on how he is doing.

paddyclamp Tue 22-Jul-08 23:23:03

I've had type 1 since i was 9. Am in my early 30s now and have no complications at all.

It can be hard work at times but i've never missed out on anything and have survived uni and childbirth unscathed!!!

jeanclaudedamvan Wed 23-Jul-08 07:37:12

thanks for all your replies girls, i went to see what was happening yesterday,hospital said we were lucky catching this now as his body was producing ketones,he is stabalising now and the last test showed no ketones just sugar,so were getting somewhere.they are going to discharge him today hopefully!
i will post back later
once again thank you all e

TheMagnificent7 Wed 23-Jul-08 11:17:15

Great news. That was a fortunate time to find out. Wishing you the best. Don't let the toppers on here get you down about it.

jeanclaudedamvan Wed 23-Jul-08 14:04:31

hey thanks for that.he has just been discharged from hospital,his level was down to 11 .diabetic nurse comming on friday to see him
once again thank you all for the advice and the links
youre all stars xx e

lulurose Wed 23-Jul-08 14:14:22

Thats great news, I'm sure you'll have got your heads round things soon. There are several parents of children with Type One on here, and some adults who have it too. There are several different regimes to "control" diabetes ranging from two injections a day, multiple daily injections (MDI) and insulin pumps. There will always be someone on here with good advice or a friendly ear.

Take care of yourself, and hoping that your ds feels much better soon. Am so pleased you caught it in time.

LR

tangarine Wed 23-Jul-08 23:47:51

Hi jc,

Glad to hear ds is out of hospital. Let us know how he is doing when you get a chance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now