Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Mini pill, bleeding...

(10 Posts)
personalhealth Tue 22-Jul-08 09:26:00

Have been on the mini-pill for five months - first few months were fine, light periods at the usual time, lasting 5-7 days. But the last couple of months I've had bleeding mid-pack, plus longer (10 day) periods at the time I'd expect.

I know bleeding is a side effect but after 3 good months I thought I'd got away with it! Is this normal? Will the mid-month bleeding stop?

Grateful for any advice: I know its not the worst problem in the world but the constant bleeding is inconvenient and quite draining.

personalhealth Tue 22-Jul-08 10:44:22

anyone?

Seona1973 Tue 22-Jul-08 13:29:08

which one are you using? I had femulen and micronor and both gave me periods every 2 weeks. I now use cerazette and havent bled for about 10 months. Irregular bleeding is very common with the mini-pill and different ones suit different people.

personalhealth Tue 22-Jul-08 13:34:03

Thanks. I'm using Micronor. I wondered whether the bleeding will settle down after a few months, or whether I should change now.

Seona1973 Tue 22-Jul-08 13:50:01

my bleeding never settled down and I was on the other 2 pills for quite a few months. Why not give it another month or two and if it hasnt settled down ask to try a different one.

SubRosa Tue 22-Jul-08 15:25:08

I had constant bleeding on Micronor, apparently this happens quite often. Having said that, if it doesn't settle after a couple of months, I'd ask your GP or practice nurse to check you out.

personalhealth Tue 22-Jul-08 17:25:47

Thanks, I'll give it another month and see if things improve - I saw on some guidance on the POP that side-effects sometimes last a few months then go away, and I wondered if anyone had actually had that happen of whether, once you start getting the breakthrough bleeding, it's best to just change to another pill.

Pinkchampagne Tue 22-Jul-08 17:39:23

I have been on Cerazette for 9 months now & still get very irregular bleeding. I was hoping it might settle down but it seems not!
Nurse said it is a very common side effect on the mini pill as oestrogen is what gives you cycle control, and the mini pill is obviously progesterone only. Bloody annoying isn't it?!

PortAndLemon Tue 22-Jul-08 17:47:37

I used Micronor for 7 years and had breakthrough mid-cycle bleeding all the time, I'm afraid (which is one reason I am not going back on hormonal contraception).

kerrysparkes Thu 24-Jul-08 11:15:36

I made a posy myself a few weeks ago, i had a simular problem on Cerazette, no period at all for 4 months then costant spotting every mornin for the last 3 weeks i am happy to say it has stopped today, fingers crossed!! I think its each to their own, some people have no bleeding at all and the unlucky ones like it get it for weeks!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now