Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Toddlers and eyedrops any ideas? - help please!

(13 Posts)
girliefriend Mon 21-Jul-08 22:23:37

Hello all, dd had conjunctivitis and am having a nervous breakdown trying to get eye drops into her eyes (she is 2 and a half) so far the only way I have been able to do it is to sit on her and force her eyes open very traumatic for both of us!!!! any ideas?!

Cashncarry Mon 21-Jul-08 22:26:09

Wow - sympathies I remember the stress! Have you tried letting her do the eyedrops on her dolly first to sort of practice or even let her try on you with some "pretend eyedrops" (obviously!)?

Other than that, I'm afraid I used the tried and tested Clamp Her Between My Legs Technique which sounds very similar to what you're doing already!

gigglewitch Mon 21-Jul-08 22:26:39

have you got anything that would entertain her whilst you do it? we have a spider which climbs up on top of our shower rail when ds1 <big wusss> needs his hair shampooing, and all manner of tricks to get the other two to have inhalers - none causing probs now but when they used to fight, gawd it was hard!

angelene Mon 21-Jul-08 22:27:11

If you can get the fucithalmic viscous eye drops prescribed you can do it when she's asleep, do it when she's in deep sleep and it's OK. Haven't tried to do it with the actual liquid drops but IMHnon-medicalO they are a load of old crap anyway. Good luck, it's a bugger to get rid of.

DontNeedAnything Mon 21-Jul-08 22:27:13

1. eye drops are not essential. My GP won't prescribe them any more unless there is no improvement after 3 days. So don't panic if you don't get any in. Cleansing regularly (2-3 times daily) with cooled boiled water will normall be sufficient to treat most eye infections.

2. As far the eydropsWrap her in a towel, swaddling her so her arms are restrained. Lie back on a bean-bag/duvet/propped up cusions. Pop a drop in hte corner. It oesn't matter if her eyes are closed. The drops will go in as soon as she opens them.

Then admisister HUGE cuddles and TLC.

PixelHerder Mon 21-Jul-08 22:31:48

If your current method is getting teh drops into her eyes then stick with it grin At that age I doubt whether you'd get cooperation any other way, though she may get more used to it.

My 23 month old DD screamed blue murder - but I later found her re-enacting the trauma with her teddies, putting 'drops' into their eyes with a pen, then picking them up for a cuddle and saying 'all gone'. I guess they subliminally konw that it's for their own good or something... hmm grin

glasgowgal Mon 21-Jul-08 22:34:28

If it is the drops, just pour them onto closed eye and when she opens them some will go in anyway. Health professionals say for the first few days you can give more often than the guidelines say. if it is the cream/gel thingy put a touch on your finger and rub along eyelashes to the same effect. Remember to use a clean/different finger for second eye.

girliefriend Wed 23-Jul-08 20:22:21

thanks guys, it is a bit of a nightmare, that eye drop you can do in their sleep sounds good, think if it hasn't improved will aim to get some of that! She has had it since last friday and tried no eyedrops yesterday and her eyes were all gungy again by the end of the day so agree that the drops the chemist gave me are pretty rubbish! Worked out today about the putting the drops on closed eyes but she is not silly and point blank refused to open her eyes for about 5 mins by which time most of the drops had ran down her face!!! oh the joys! XxX

loopylou6 Wed 23-Jul-08 21:28:01

ohhhh NIGHTMARE. you have my sympathy, dd (4)had to have these a few weeks ago. Im sorry but the only way to go is ... pin down force open eyes and drop away, its heartbreaking but it has to be done.

CarGirl Wed 23-Jul-08 21:29:48

best thing is drops not the cream, get them to lay down with their eyes shut, put the drops in the corner of their eyes, when they open their eyes the stuff goes into their eyes.

It really does work!

Raine3 Fri 25-Jul-08 22:36:32

I think I would try whils she is asleep hmm

Flibbertyjibbet Fri 25-Jul-08 22:49:45

Another pin down force eyes open and drop away.

'Lie back on a bean-bag/duvet/propped up cusions. Pop a drop in hte corner'

oh yes I'd like to see anyone succeed with that method on my two.

How can I get a drop in the corner if the child's head is flailing around?

Nope, we do it as a team, I hold arms and pin down chest, dp holds head between his knees, opens eye with one hand and puts drop in with the other hand.

It must depend on the age and nature of the child. So far nothing else has worked for my two. Its not cruel as they have forgotten all about it 3 seconds later.

girliefriend Sat 26-Jul-08 20:14:23

lol! Touch wood have had no gunge appear for 2 days so hoping that is it! Thanks for all posts!!! XxX

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now