Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Thanking in advance, coz I really need advice!! Anyone work for the NHS and had the hand washing course lately.

(13 Posts)
donovan Mon 21-Jul-08 22:22:02

I am a clerk, and normally use the clear hand rub. Before I went on my holidays we had a hand washing exercise, and we used the green rub (I cant remember the name, but its the one always used in hospitals). My hands have peeled so completly that I have lost a layer of skin, it doesn't hurt me, but it sure looks attractive as well as being as rough as hell hmm do you think I should ring Occ Health. Or do you think I could get away with asking to just use the clear rub. I work in an office building were no patients/clients ever come to! What do you think.

themoon66 Mon 21-Jul-08 22:25:01

I'm a medical secretary in an office with no patients, apart from the ones sitting out in the outpatient clinic.

We dont have to do the handwashing course.

I would take your peeling hands to Occy Health. The hospital will most likely have to provide you with a wash for sensitive skin if occy health report back to your line manager.

hairtwiddler Mon 21-Jul-08 22:26:13

Can you ring the infection control people for advice. They probably have to deal with lots of people who are sensitive to the gels.
I'm sure there will be an alternative.

fledtoscotland Mon 21-Jul-08 22:29:48

we had the hand hygiene course this week but there was no green rub - just the stuff you put on your hands before using the light box to see if you washed your hands properly.

i would go to occ health,

donovan Mon 21-Jul-08 22:31:32

Moon, thats the bit I don't get, I work in Human Resources and have done for years. Why would any of us have to do a handwashing course. We rarely see any one.
I think I am going to have to ring them, oh poo, I was hoping to get away with out having to go visit.

FabioTheWhisperingCat Mon 21-Jul-08 22:33:25

See oc health.
You are allergic to, er, clean hands.
Maybe they know more than you and everyone else in your dept is a soap dodging compost heap.

donovan Mon 21-Jul-08 22:33:53

Thanks ladies. grin

JRocks Mon 21-Jul-08 22:34:07

I used to work in a hospital, and actually my mum is a trainer in the domestic services department - no green rub in our experience, it's clear. Or you use hibiscrub to wash your hands. Definitely go to OH.

3Ddonut Mon 21-Jul-08 22:36:41

I work on the wards, never seen green rub, it's spirigel on our wards. I'm allergic (too sensitive soul, me) to our new handwashing stuff so I get my own bottle of cream to wash in, see occy health for an alternative, I also don't get why you need to wash so often....?

donovan Mon 21-Jul-08 22:36:47

Probably Fabio! the People I work with are old, lonely and live with dodgy cats or their mother. And even though I have worked their for 15 years, and I am middle ranking, some of them still see me as the new one. They are a weird bunch I tell you.

donovan Mon 21-Jul-08 22:39:41

The green stuff is called Lind something or other. I only looked vaguely.

themoon66 Mon 21-Jul-08 22:47:26

Donovan... sounds like where I work... where are you?

donovan Mon 21-Jul-08 22:54:00

I live in Kent, Maidstone actually. My office reminds me of an old peoples home!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now