Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can GPs prescribe Entenox?

(21 Posts)
StarlightMcKenzie Mon 21-Jul-08 18:47:26

Message withdrawn

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 21-Jul-08 18:55:46

Message withdrawn

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 21-Jul-08 19:52:21

Message withdrawn

scorpio1 Mon 21-Jul-08 19:54:05

i don't know....have they refused to give you more?? angry

i used 3 canisters; they dont last long. have you rung the hospital?

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 21-Jul-08 19:57:20

Message withdrawn

expatinscotland Mon 21-Jul-08 20:01:44

That's another reason why I'm either going to the midwife-led or consultant-led unit in hospital.

I may not need it, but knowing pain relief isn't there would freak me out.

scorpio1 Mon 21-Jul-08 20:03:45

yes there are other types of pain relief, but i find entonox is 'mine'

is there a complaints procedure? can you buy it?? hmm

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 21-Jul-08 20:05:44

Message withdrawn

ilovemydog Mon 21-Jul-08 20:09:00

found it on BOC (british oxygen company) under medical uses

am rubbish about links - sorry

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 21-Jul-08 20:09:11

Message withdrawn

expatinscotland Mon 21-Jul-08 20:10:27

I'll have to wait till closer to the time to see if I can even deliver at the MLU. Mainly because the CLU could involve helicopter travel.

So there have to be NO complications at all.

Given my history, it's anyone's guess if that will happen. Have 28 weeks check 12 August so here's hoping.

But I need to know diamorphine is an option.

How about hiring a birthing pool to use at home and then going into MLU/birthing centre if it gets too bad?

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 21-Jul-08 20:10:43

Message withdrawn

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 21-Jul-08 20:13:33

Message withdrawn

expatinscotland Mon 21-Jul-08 20:15:39

Ah, I see!

I have that problem as well, except there's also this huge loch in the way so if you tried to drive round it (assuming the mountain pass you have to cross is open) because the ferries aren't running (they stop at 10) it is about 2.5 hours.

Hmm.

Hope you find some Enenox.

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 21-Jul-08 20:21:07

Message withdrawn

expatinscotland Mon 21-Jul-08 20:22:28

DON'T get it online.

Kids regularly abuse 'nitrous oxide' or 'nitro' in the US. They get hold of industrial grade stuff in a racing car shop.

That's what they're inhaling.

So it's entirely possible that's where net suppliers are sourcing it, too.

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 21-Jul-08 20:29:03

Message withdrawn

ilovemydog Mon 21-Jul-08 20:36:53

But if you call BOC tomorrow, at least they would be able to tell you what their criteria is for supplying it?

Oh, and my elderly neighbor has oxygen at home in cannisters, so not sure how he manages with his house insurance?

Surely, you could call your insurance company and ask? Any different from an explosive stance than those cannisters you get for a BBQ? Or helium for balloons? hmm

So, once you've dealt with the insurance and the supply, then the midwife won't have any objections, will she?

Sidge Mon 21-Jul-08 21:15:00

GPs don't prescribe Entonox - the only medical gas they can prescribe is oxygen I believe.

Midwives usually carry a couple of cylinders, and will call for more if they need it. I can't believe the midwife would only have enough for 10-20 minutes!

fledtoscotland Mon 21-Jul-08 22:37:28

I also thought that GPs cant prescribe any gas apart from oxygen and even then it needs to be approved by a hospital consultant. surely the m/w's carry more than one cylinder? you can use a whole cylinder doing a complicated wound dressing let alone giving birth so i would have thought they would have access to more?

Hannah81 Mon 21-Jul-08 22:45:29

I can't believe this either! I had 4 canisters delivered 2weeks before my due date, but they could not be used until the midwife brought the attachment for the top. So i cant understand why insurance would not cover it because you wont even be able to use it. and as far as explosives go!.... they just tell you that they have to be ventilated - a spare room for example! (i've never heard of a house being blown to pieces from entonox!!!wink
also, the midwives brought 2 with them and said they could get more. the 4 canisters were more than enough though and i didn't use it all!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now