Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

HELP - its my DDs birthday on Wednesday and im getting the mother of all colds....

(6 Posts)
lucyellensmum Mon 21-Jul-08 16:18:16

I don't BELIEEEEEEEEEVE it. My friend came around on Thursday and she was just going down with it. She said she had to go to bed on friday she felt so bad - had to get her father to come and take her DD. Anyway, over the weekend i get a sore up my nose (very common for me to do this when im about to go down with something) and thought bollocks, but at least it will be done by dd's birthday. But now im starting to feel decidedly coldy. running nose that isn't hayfever, heavy headed, sweaty - shit shit shit.

What can i do to lessen its affects, my DP has just started a new job my mum is not her best this week. So i wont be able to take myself off to bed, i so don't want to be poorly on her big day.

Please send loads of advice and sympathy

HonoriaGlossop Mon 21-Jul-08 16:33:12

Loads of sympathy from me, I have just had this and had an extremely sore throat with it

May I recommend a cocktail of pills for your delectation? You can take paracetamol based products with ibuprofen. Taking two sorts of painkiller together definitely helps imo to get rid of some of the feverish, ill feeling.

Or try Solpadol, which is paracetamol and codeine - makes you drowsy but very good and helps you sleep

Honey and lemon drinks are good though personally I would not bother with the beechams flu stuff, take the combination tablets and just make up home-made honey and lemon

Hope you feel better soon

lucyellensmum Mon 21-Jul-08 16:47:54

ah, i should have mentioned i can't take ibruprofen. Just made up a max strength lemsip. I don't feel so bad just yet but its on its way angry. I don't NEED this !!! I haven't even begun to think about DDs cake.

HonoriaGlossop Mon 21-Jul-08 16:49:29

oh well maybe get some solpadol then - would you be able to take codeine? I found it really good.

buy the cake - M & S!! They do some fab ones!

MamaG Mon 21-Jul-08 16:50:50

My SIL swears by taking 3 max strength vit c tablets at the o nset of a cold

no paracetamol, ibuprofen etc just pure vit C

Take for 3 days running and she reckons it always wards off a cold, never fails

I am a tad hmm but its worth a go

lucyellensmum Mon 21-Jul-08 17:56:17

Thats worth knowing HG, Tesco's ones are pure shit. Can take codeine and have some really strong stuff in my meds cabinet back from when i had gallstones, but just want to be able to ward it off. Reckon its too late though.

You should really be careful about taking over the RDA of vitamins though. Especially B vits for what its worth

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now