Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Urgent help - just started a bout of cystitis and I'm off on holiday on Saturday!

(7 Posts)
BecauseImWorthIt Mon 21-Jul-08 16:02:59

I've only had it twice before - the first time, because I didn't know what it was I left it a bit too late and ended up with a raging infection, sore kidneys and had to take antibiotics.

I've bought some stuff from the pharmacist, a two day course, but what else should I do or not do?

Tinkerisdead Mon 21-Jul-08 16:07:20

drink a pint of water an hour, drink cranberry juice or get cranberry juice supplements from health food shop. Or lemon barley water.
Tip water down there when you wee to ease the burning if you need to.
ive had cystitis a zillion times and worst thing was giving in to the constant need to wee when nothing there to release as it were. try to hold on long enough to actually have a proper wee as trying to wee a few drops is agony!

Tinkerisdead Mon 21-Jul-08 16:08:21

when i say hold on, i dont mean hold a full bladder etc but dont give in to the urge to wee constantly as you'll have nothjing there and prolong the healing etc. drink plenty and you should flush it out quick

Seeline Mon 21-Jul-08 16:09:16

I've had it loads of times - poor you. I -always- end up at the doctors for antibiotics. Nothing else works.

Neeerly3 Mon 21-Jul-08 16:10:47

when i get it, the raging infection part is instant and the only relief is getting in a hot bath and just weeing in there while constantly drinking pints and pints of water.

Touch wood, I havent' had it since i had my kids 4 years ago......but once u get it, i believe you are prone to it. I also heard you shouldn't stop yourself having a wee, even if there is nothing there to let out, as holding it in can help the infection build.

Taking those sachets should help, and just rest. and drink, lots.

BecauseImWorthIt Mon 21-Jul-08 16:39:01

Thanks all - have been drinking (and peeing!) for England

I'm going to see how things go tomorrow and then if still no improvement will go the GP and see if they'll give me some antibiotics, just in case

Flying to Australia on Saturday and can't bear the thought of the journey in any kind of discomfort!

heididrink Mon 21-Jul-08 16:44:57

Go to health food shop and buy extra strength cranberry tablets - always works for me.
Tesco or Asda sometimes sell them too -

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now