Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Any recent experiences of the contraceptive implant?

(12 Posts)
Charliemama Mon 21-Jul-08 13:53:27

Hello I was thinking of going back on the pill but after speaking to the nurse she suggested the implant. I know nothing about it other than a small bit of info in a leaflet I was given. Has anybody got any recent experiences they could share please?

Yorky Mon 21-Jul-08 20:35:50

How recent do you want, DS is now 18months and I had it removed about 6months before falling pregnant.
Had no problems while on it and loved not having periods!
Any thing more specific you'd like to know?

MrsBauer Mon 21-Jul-08 21:12:25

I have an implant, getting it swapped next month as I'm coming to the end of my 3 years! It has been great for me, no periods initially or very light, then it just fell back into a 28 day cycle. Its great not to worry about taking a pill, getting sick doesn't affect it and if you do get side effects they can take it out. I can't rate it highly enough but I know it doesn't work like that for all people. I'd say give it a try, they can always remove it if it doesn't work for you smile

Charliemama Tue 22-Jul-08 09:25:47

Ok questions:

1) Does it hurt having it put in/taken out?
2) Does it make yiou moody/sad?
3)Is it freaky having something in your arm?

alittlebitshy Tue 22-Jul-08 09:28:27

I'm watching this with interest. I had the injection for 3 years between having dd and ttc dc2 (coming this week) and am wondering about the implant as my alternative afterwards.

Does anyone know if I'm right in thinking that it's ok to bf with implant - but not so with the injection or am I talking rubbish?

Backgammon Tue 22-Jul-08 09:34:35

I had an implant - it sent me crazy! I was totally irrational, especially after I'd had a glass of wine. It just seemed to make me mad. It was weird because pregnancy hormones have never really affected me badly but something about the implant really affected my head.

I moved house after having it put in and the new Dr's didn't have anybody qualified to remove it so I had to wait weeks for an appt at the family planning clinic to get it out.

When I was there they said I was something like the tenth person that month who'd wanted one out because it messed with their head.

My friend had one taken out for the same reason.

It's not painful when they put it in or take it out as they inject you with local anaesthetic.

Sounds like some people have been fine with it but I wouldn't recommend it, I really wouldn't.

Bonifacio Tue 22-Jul-08 10:41:23

I had one for 2 ish years and it was great. No periods and when I came off it my periods went straight back into a regular cycle.

Not painful at all (and I have a low pain threshhold!)

Never made me and moodier than I normally am!!

Was a little freaky but I always found amusing to freak other squeamish friends out with! blush

Only thing I would mention is the feeling I have now that it is taken out, if I run my finger firmly over where it was it gets a little twinge like an old bruise kind og feeling.

Hope this helps!

Seona1973 Tue 22-Jul-08 13:32:18

I know 3 people that dont like it and want it removed. All of them have lots of bleeding and are feeling depressed with it. One has managed to get hers removed, another cant get an appointment for removal for a couple of months and the last (my sister) has a lot going on at the moment so hasnt tried to find out about getting it removed.

43Today Tue 22-Jul-08 13:36:32

Have had it for a year now with no problems. It's fantastic! Had 3 periods in the first 2 months, and since then nothing at all. My libido seems unaffected, and no difference in mood either.

It hurt a little having it put in but the nurse held my hand while the doctor did the business and it was all over very quickly.

It was a huge relief to get off the pill, cos my brain seemed to be trying to trick me into one last-ditch pregnancy and I kept on forgetting to take them.

Yorky Tue 22-Jul-08 18:32:27

I bruised quite badly when they put my second one in, but it didn't hurt when they did it. The anaesthetic works well when they take it out, I was fascinated watching the reflection in the drs glasses!
You forget its there after the novelty wears off.
I had the injection between DS and this pg so hope its OK to breastfeed with!
I didn't have any mood problems, and it is removable if you don't get on with it

FeelinBroody Wed 23-Jul-08 13:00:49

1) Does it hurt having it put in/taken out?
Nope, the local injection stings slightly, then it's numb. Might have a slighty bruise for a day or 2.

2) Does it make yiou moody/sad?
Nope not affected me like that at all

3)Is it freaky having something in your arm?
I can freak some people out with it cos I can move it under my skin - it was a bit of a party piece when I first got it. Doesn't bother me though.

Positives: not having to remember to take a pill or keep going back for injections. Didn't have a period for the first 18months (was previously on depo injections though and no periods for the 2 years before that), now I have quite light periods. Can just forget about contraception now it's in place. Doesn't matter if I'm sick. No worries about calcium/bone density like with the injection.

Downsides: have to find a GP that is qualified to fit/remove them or else go to the FP clinic and can be a pain to get an appointment.

Charliemama Thu 24-Jul-08 20:14:29

Thankyou for all your messages. I think the best thing would be just to give it a go and see how I get on. I am a bit worried about stories of feeling down as I was really down after DS2 and I don't want to feel like that again. I am a bit prone to getting sad about 2 weeks before my period is due so if anything i was hoping the implant might stop that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now