Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Pizotifen vs. propranolol for migraines

(6 Posts)
AtheneNoctua Mon 21-Jul-08 13:28:02

Tell me you experience please.

AtheneNoctua Mon 21-Jul-08 18:11:41

So no one wants to talk about migraines today? sad

Bonifacio Tue 22-Jul-08 10:47:09

Hi AThene, I have never taken propranolol for migraines. But I wasn't aware it was prescribed for that. I got mine prescribed for anxiety. It is supposed to slow the heart rate down.

Hopefully someone more knowledgable will be able to help you soon!

giraffeski Fri 25-Jul-08 16:42:12

Message withdrawn

Pheebe Fri 25-Jul-08 17:04:50

I took propanolol briefly for recurrent migraines. Within a week I was clinically depressed and had to stop immediately. It was awful and very frightening, I'd never felt like that before or since. Apparently it is a potential side effect.

AnAngelWithin Fri 25-Jul-08 17:06:59

i have had both. pizotifen did nothing to help. i am now on propanalol 80mg. did make me tired to start with but ok now. i also found that i was able to come off my ADs as the propanalol chilled me out. I think they lower your blood pressure. I haven't had a single migraine since i started on it and if i get a slight headache, good old paracetamol works fine now!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now