Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Please help a nits virgin - MN search seems to point to a nitty gritt comb but where do I get one?

(11 Posts)
misselizabethbennett Mon 21-Jul-08 11:47:56

DS age 6 has nits for the first time. I got out 5 crawlers and tons of eggs this morning using conditioner, a normal fine comb and my fingernails!

I've looked around on here and the nittty gritty comb seems to be well thought of but is it only available online? I really want to get one today!!

And how often do you comb?

My gut feel is that I can get rid of these without resorting to treatment shampoos - am I being naive or is this really possible?

Sorry, I'm sure you've answered all this before but I'd be so grateful for any advice.

misselizabethbennett Mon 21-Jul-08 11:54:05

And I'm feeling very guilty because he must have had them for AGES before I noticed, to get so many eggs.

Smittals Mon 21-Jul-08 11:55:50

Boots have them or try big supermarket with a pharmacy dept? Be warned, they are about a tenner IIRC, but really do the job.

EffiePerine Mon 21-Jul-08 11:56:20

Boots

every 2-3 days for a few weeks IIRC

mum2oandh Mon 21-Jul-08 11:57:22

I got my nitty gritty from Sainsburys about 6 months ago.

Hulababy Mon 21-Jul-08 11:58:30

Lots of chemists have them. But if you phone your GP first and ask them they will give you a prescription for on for your child - and then you get it free.

mum2oandh Mon 21-Jul-08 12:01:26

Sorry just read your post properly blush
-comb every 3 days
-soak hair and use loads of conditioner or you wont get the comb through
-I rub Tea Tree oil on the scalp afterwards
but I know some peoplecan be sensitive to it so use with caution the first time.

Scarletibis Mon 21-Jul-08 12:01:50

Boots

Don't feel guilty the buggers are hard to spot until child starts scratching!

Every 2-3 days until you've had a few washes with no critters.

misselizabethbennett Mon 21-Jul-08 12:02:14

Great, thanks. Don't have time to wait for GP appointment. MUST ATTACK TODAY!! Will nip out to Boots at lunchtime.

And if I do this I don't need the special shampoos/treatments?

foxythesnowfox Mon 21-Jul-08 12:06:32

I use a tea-tree conditioner - but I found my LOs reacted to the cheapest Tesco one, so use a slightly more expensive one - but still cheap. I wouldn't bother with the nit-treatments, they are pricey too.

We put them on the side of the sink to examine blush

And don't forget to do your own.

Scarletibis Mon 21-Jul-08 12:09:56

Shouldn't need them - a lot don't work because of resistance and it is hard to get full coverage of the scalp/hair. Conditioning is better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now