Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Please help a nits virgin - MN search seems to point to a nitty gritt comb but where do I get one?

(11 Posts)
misselizabethbennett Mon 21-Jul-08 11:47:56

DS age 6 has nits for the first time. I got out 5 crawlers and tons of eggs this morning using conditioner, a normal fine comb and my fingernails!

I've looked around on here and the nittty gritty comb seems to be well thought of but is it only available online? I really want to get one today!!

And how often do you comb?

My gut feel is that I can get rid of these without resorting to treatment shampoos - am I being naive or is this really possible?

Sorry, I'm sure you've answered all this before but I'd be so grateful for any advice.

misselizabethbennett Mon 21-Jul-08 11:54:05

And I'm feeling very guilty because he must have had them for AGES before I noticed, to get so many eggs.

Smittals Mon 21-Jul-08 11:55:50

Boots have them or try big supermarket with a pharmacy dept? Be warned, they are about a tenner IIRC, but really do the job.

EffiePerine Mon 21-Jul-08 11:56:20

Boots

every 2-3 days for a few weeks IIRC

mum2oandh Mon 21-Jul-08 11:57:22

I got my nitty gritty from Sainsburys about 6 months ago.

Hulababy Mon 21-Jul-08 11:58:30

Lots of chemists have them. But if you phone your GP first and ask them they will give you a prescription for on for your child - and then you get it free.

mum2oandh Mon 21-Jul-08 12:01:26

Sorry just read your post properly blush
-comb every 3 days
-soak hair and use loads of conditioner or you wont get the comb through
-I rub Tea Tree oil on the scalp afterwards
but I know some peoplecan be sensitive to it so use with caution the first time.

Scarletibis Mon 21-Jul-08 12:01:50

Boots

Don't feel guilty the buggers are hard to spot until child starts scratching!

Every 2-3 days until you've had a few washes with no critters.

misselizabethbennett Mon 21-Jul-08 12:02:14

Great, thanks. Don't have time to wait for GP appointment. MUST ATTACK TODAY!! Will nip out to Boots at lunchtime.

And if I do this I don't need the special shampoos/treatments?

foxythesnowfox Mon 21-Jul-08 12:06:32

I use a tea-tree conditioner - but I found my LOs reacted to the cheapest Tesco one, so use a slightly more expensive one - but still cheap. I wouldn't bother with the nit-treatments, they are pricey too.

We put them on the side of the sink to examine blush

And don't forget to do your own.

Scarletibis Mon 21-Jul-08 12:09:56

Shouldn't need them - a lot don't work because of resistance and it is hard to get full coverage of the scalp/hair. Conditioning is better.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: