Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anybody else been advised to have their DC's second immunisation brought forward due to measles epidemic?

(10 Posts)
Lukesmammy Mon 21-Jul-08 11:06:41

Just wondered if anybody else has had this reccomended to them?

We live in an area which is apparently having a measles epidemic and I read a massive advertisement in the paper advising all children to have their second MMR dosage asap. Obviously, this is normally given just prior to nursery I believe so my son will be having it nearly 2 years early - only 2 months after his first injection.

Anybody else had this? I spoke to my hv and she simply advsed that this is the current reccomendation in this area. I was nervous first time so am going to be even more nrevous having another so close together. I do believe in the vaccination programme but am scared!

zazen Mon 21-Jul-08 11:25:30

Hi Lukesmammy, congrats on your little boy. i take it you're in Ireland?

I think you'll get a lot of doomsayers on here saying that you ds will become autistic if you give him anything other than mother's milk etc etc
All the evidence which informed the debate as to whether the MMR caused autism was based on a trial even the doctor who did the experiment admitted was made up.

Not to frighten you, but Measels is no joke - it can be fatal, and can cause all sorts of problems.
I would voice your concerns to your GP and keep up with the Public health measures and protect your child from this epidemic.

Good luck - I know it's not easy to volunteer your precious baby for an injection, but he'll get a lot worse than just one injection if he catches measles, and there is an epidemic.

Most parents I know (in Ireland) who didn't have the public health measures - vaccinations and the like- to stop communicable diseases like measles for their first borns, had the vaccinations for their second and subsequent children after their first baby spent some time in hospital with measles - some of them felt lucky their first borns got away with mild deafness.

Lukesmammy Mon 21-Jul-08 11:31:28

No, Im in London zazen. Don't think I've explained ny post very well but my DS was pulling my hair whilst typing - desperate to get on the computer!

My DS is 15 months and has had all of his jabs as I am a firm believer in the vaccination programme.

He had his first MMR two months ago. But they are now recommending that he has his pre school booster now due to the outbreak - meaning only a two month gap between both MMR doses (normally two years).

I am going to do it as the thought of him catching measles terrifies me but at the same time I'm scared what effects having two doses of MMR so cloe together could have. Spoke to the hv but she simply said they wouldn't do it if it could cause harm. Do you thnk I'm worrying too much?

tink123 Mon 21-Jul-08 11:41:44

In USA children often have MMR at one year and then 18 months. There only has to be one month's gap.

Porpoise Mon 21-Jul-08 11:43:59

Hi Lukesmammy

Don't know if this helps but my ds3 had his booster dose of MMR earlier, for precisely the reasons you've been given.

We also live in an area of London where there have been several measles outbreaks.

From what I remember being told [not a doctor emoticon], the first jab is only sure to provide immunity in 90-odd% of cases - so the booster is necessary to 'fill in the gaps', so to speak.

It is NOT the second part of a two-part vaccine, IYSWIM. Just another dose in case the first one didn't work properly.

My ds had his two MMRs 12 months apart. So can't advise about a two-month gap, I'm afraid...

zazen Mon 21-Jul-08 11:48:23

Yes Lukesmammy, I do think you're worrying too much!! But who doesn't? smile We all worry about something! You're obviously a very contentious mum.

'Sorry' for thinking you're in Ireland - we have lots of measles here, and it's just awful thinking about all those little kids who aren't vaccinated and who become sick. The children's hospitals are full of little babes with measles, and there's no cure for it - just vaccination to prevent it.

This word of mouth ignorance about vaccinations really gets me down (it's my pet worry, if you like)- I feel like it's as if the age of enlightenment didn't happen and we are back in the stone ages - or in a very poor part of the world - no wonder Bill Gates uses his money for vaccination programmes.

I think you have to listen to what the HV says, "they wouldn't do it if it could cause harm" the risks are too big not to.

Large GnT for yourself!!!

Lukesmammy Mon 21-Jul-08 17:20:31

Thanks all. I am a worrier at the best of times but now I have my DS I am unbelievable!

I am getting the second jab done early as that is what is recommended and I'd hate to think he caught measles and was ill as a result of me reading too much into the hype surrounding MMR....

....but then another part of me thinks well what if the risk of autism is higher having two doses so close together? and are there any studies showing the effects of having two so close together?

I am just going to have to put my worries aside and do it. Thanks for replying to a worrying Mummy!

LIZS Mon 21-Jul-08 17:28:19

dd had one at 12 months and second at 18/19 months - it was normal in Europe then and that was over 5 years ago

spudballoo Mon 21-Jul-08 20:12:20

My second son had his booster a month after his initial MMR, we're also in London and the measles outbreak was, and is, very very serious. We're in East London.

I knew about the outbreak, and that various pre-schoolers had their boosters early including the children of every medic I know (couldn't get them in fast enough for their boosters!).

But when the nurse told me I'd need to come back in a month for the booster I was very hesitent. Then gave myself a serious (speedy!) talking to...if you've signed up for the immunisation programme as I have, like you, then it makes no sense at all to get all wibbly when things are done slightly differently from the schedule you are expecting.

bottom line, you either trust the programme or you don't. And I do, so he had his booster one month after his initial MMR.

The biggest problem was that I had my preschooler done at the first time. he went first for the jab, no problems. But then he HOWLED once the 14mth old had had his done as, "it's MY turn again now". Waaaaahhh!!

Two children have jabs at the same time is no joke, an entirely random point!

x

Lukesmammy Mon 21-Jul-08 22:06:39

Spudballoo I couldn't agree with you more. I'm not sure why I have gone all 'wibbly' as I am such a firm believer in the vaccination programme.

Think its just that it is different than the norm and was worried that by doing things in such a 'rushed' way that it could do more harm than good.

The measles risks terrify me though so have done a head job on myself and reminded myself why vaccination is so important and going to book the booster appointment when the surgery opens tomorrow.

Thanks all

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now