Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

11mth old with VERY sore bum

(16 Posts)
Zeeky Mon 21-Jul-08 07:41:47

DS has been having rather runny nappies for the last couple of days, and yesterday his bum became really red and sore (all round his willy, balls, leg creases right down to anus). He screams with pain when I clean the area, but doesn't seem in pain before/after. I have been smothering the area in Sudocrem but there has been no improvement. It is not helped by him filling his nappy in the middle of the night, so that when I change him in the morning, he has obviously been lying in it for maybe hours.

Should I take him to the doctor - for both the runny nappy issue (is it teething or something more serious?) and the soreness? Or is there something else I can apply to heal the soreness.

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Mon 21-Jul-08 07:44:13

the docs will be able to give you a better cream! and try and make sure he gets lots of nappy free time. difficult i know when they are l 'loose'! would he stay on a few towels? or just crawl off and poop all over carpet? like my lo did when she has a sore bum!!

Eddas Mon 21-Jul-08 07:46:28

oh no poor little thing. I use Metanium (comes in a yellow box)for my ds as it's the only thing that works. It's brilliant. You don't need much but it clears up ds' bottom very quickly. I always found sudocream didn't wokr on him. Although for dd all I used was the Johnson's cream and she was fine.

I'm not sure if you should take him to the doctor. Someone else will come along soon with other advice.

Hope it clears up soon. Nappy rash is evil

swiftyknickers Mon 21-Jul-08 07:48:37

one word -DRAPOLENE- TIS ANTISEPTIC and brill can get in boots-it will rid him within the day x

cluckyagain Mon 21-Jul-08 07:50:43

metanium here - still using it 5 yrs later for various delights!

EBenes Mon 21-Jul-08 07:52:24

Yes, take to the doctor. I recently had this with mine because she suddenly started doing non-scented poos and they stayed too long close to her skin twice and her bottom was crazily red and she was in a lot of pain. He gave me a steroidal cream (trimovate or something?) and things were fine in 2 days. I had always used Burts Bees nappy cream before which seemed like magic and made redness vanish in 12 hours, but in this case did nothing.

Wallace Mon 21-Jul-08 08:00:23

ouch, poor thing. Make sure you only use water to clean him because babywipes sting

mellyonion Mon 21-Jul-08 08:06:39

another metanium user here...its like magic...it really is! it stains clothes or bedding though, so be sure to lay your baby on a mat or towel, or on his nappy or whatever before you put it on, and he wriggles off!

i find when my laddy gets a sore bum like that, its kinder to pop him in the shower or bath to clean him up rather that wiping with wet wips (or wiping with anything...)

i would trust your instinct as far as taking him to the docs...if you think he's unwell, or it carries on for more than a few days, or food starts going through him straight away, then take him, otherwise, it should clear by itself.

Zeeky Mon 21-Jul-08 08:10:33

Thanks guys. Have been using wipes, and even though they are sensitive, non-scented kind I think they are probably stinging him. Will try and give him some nappy off time, but as he is crawling and doing loose poos all the time I think I will have to do it outside - the weather is supposed to be nice today grin.

Will also try some different cream and if it don't work then will go to Dr.

ANy tips for what to feed him to help dry up his poos. It is very unusual for him to have loose nappies as he is more inclined to get constipated, and usually only does a poo every other day.

Eddas Mon 21-Jul-08 08:14:34

If he's anything like my dc his loose poo will be because of teeth and there's nothing you can do food wise to help. IME it's just a case of catching the poo quickly and applying cream. It only seems to last a few days with my dc then the poo goes back to normal.

SazzlesA Mon 21-Jul-08 08:17:22

Message withdrawn

Mimsy2000 Mon 21-Jul-08 08:37:12

metanium is fab. we went to the docs when my ds had nappy rash and that is what they prescribed.

Pheebe Mon 21-Jul-08 09:00:29

E45 do a nappy cream too which is working brilliantly for our ds2. He has sensitive skin anyway and mild excema and is sensitive to loads of different creams.

If his poo is watery or slimy that could be a tummy upset and is worth getting checked by the doc, especially if he seems in pain before/during doing it. When our dss are teething their poo goes like very thick wall paper paste but every bub is different.

hth

SoupDragon Mon 21-Jul-08 09:19:14

Vaseline works wonders.

Zeeky Tue 22-Jul-08 16:49:31

Took him to Dr this morning as poo no better, and he woke with a red rash on his cheeks. Dr thinks is it a stomach virus, with thrush on his bottom and possible "slapped cheek syndrome" on his face,and a slightly raised temp!

Poor DS! She prescribed some cream for his bottom, which seems to be helping already. He still seems happy enough in himself and is eating and drinking fine, so Dr said to just keep an eye on him and if symptoms get worse or he is in pain or has blood in poo then bring him straight back in.

I feel bad now that I was putting it down to teething when he was actually ill sad

mother3 Tue 22-Jul-08 17:50:24

Dont be too hard on your self Zeeky.I had never heard of slapped face syndrome untill recently.It could be a combination of diferent things that make poor baby ill.Egg white is good as it seels the area and is very natural.What works for 1 baby isnt always the same with another.It can be trial and error.As long as baby is drinking and eating he will be fine.It could be through teething just give plenty of fuids as it dilutes the urine and by my expeirience teething does cause nappy rash..Fresh air is good as well for the nappy rash.Might have a few accidents but if baby is not in pain it is worth it. Zinz and caster oil cream is good.Good luck ,hope little baby is better soon. xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now