Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

got ds's paediatric appointment through snd still worrying like mad!

(10 Posts)
kaylasmum Sun 20-Jul-08 21:27:04

I posted on here a week or two ago about my 18 month ds having a small, soft lump on hid back next to his spine. I took him to the GP who said that she thinks its fatty tissue but would refer him to te paeditrician. She put it through as a non urgent referral but said that she would mention my anxiety and hopefully they would hurry it up a little. Anyway his appointment is for the 30th of this month. thats 3 weeks from the time we went to the gp and now i'm worried that they want to see him soon because they think its urgent. I know this makes me sound crazy, on the one hand i wanted him seen quickly but on the other hand i'm worried that his appointment is so soon. I suffer terribly from health anxiety and i can't help imagining the vry worst all the time. I even took him back to my gp practice two days later after seeing my gp and saw a different gp who agreed with the first one and he did'nt think it needed an urgent referrral.

I'm sorry if this post seems a bit confusing, i'm just so worried and scared. Just hoping that someone else on here has had a non urgent paediatric referral through after just 3 weeks.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

peggotty Sun 20-Jul-08 21:30:21

I'm pretty sure that all paediatric referrals are fairly quick - I got one in about that time when we thought dd's reflux had returned. I hope it all goes well.

tiggerlovestobounce Sun 20-Jul-08 21:32:20

I wouldnt worry about the timing. TBH if they thought it was urgent they would have seen you sooner.
This is a quiet time of year usually for child health (no idea why maybe because of school holidays and people being away?)

kaylasmum Sun 20-Jul-08 22:06:35

thanks for your quick replies, its reassured me a little.

TheRealPhartiphukborlz Sun 20-Jul-08 22:12:53

i agree with peggotty, that all paediatric referrals are probably quick. smile

tink123 Sun 20-Jul-08 22:14:56

have a look at hospital website. They often have waiting list times.

stealthsquiggle Sun 20-Jul-08 22:16:22

All peads referrals are indeed quick - and since loads of people are on holiday their clinics are probably less busy than usual.

I can't really draw comparisons as we went private (DH's insurance) and saw consultant in about 3 weeks. Getting the op scheduled when we decided to do it took ages but that was because of the complication of private op in NHS hospital = 2 admins who managed to keep losing messages between them hmm(private hospitals don't on the whole do peads operations as they don't have the facilties)

MmeLindt Sun 20-Jul-08 22:18:47

My mum used to be a hospital receptionist and she told me that they often had cancellations (especially in the school holidays) so they would offer the appointment to someone else.

They used to have big problems with patients not turning up and introduced a scheme that the patients had to confirm their appointment a couple of weeks beforehand. That way they were able to fit in a different patient.

If they had thought it was really urgent then your DS would have been seen the same week.

fifitot Mon 21-Jul-08 13:04:29

3 weeks sounds standard for a pead referral in my experience.

shrinkingsagpuss Mon 21-Jul-08 13:06:00

don't worry - I asked for a paeds appt for DS who has a severe milk allergy, and although the GP said it would take a while, it came through in a metter of weeks.

Don't worry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now