Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

questions about csections.

(19 Posts)
cheesesarnie Sun 20-Jul-08 21:07:00

im off to see my consultant about having a 4th cs.we saw him after 3rd and he said it was fine to go ahead with 4th but gp disagreed.that was a while ago,now we'd like to see him again but better prepared with more questions.this is where i need help!what to ask!
my history is i had 1st cs after long labour and dd getting stuck with failed vontouse and forceps,put to sleep etc,2nd was planned cs year later.recovered well from both.3rd was planned 4 and half years later.all fine but had tear to little nic to bladder due to scar tissue during surgery.recovered well though.we'd love a 4th but obviously want to think very carefully about it.
so what questions?

cheesesarnie Mon 21-Jul-08 13:11:33

anyone?ive got gp appoinment today to be reffered to consultant.

ShrinkingViolet Mon 21-Jul-08 13:22:04

how much extra monitoring will they do/want to do during the pregnancy; woudl they want to do the section earlier thna 40 weeks; can they make sure they "tidy up" after the previosu sections to minimise visible scarring; what would be their views on the possibility of a future pregnancy (meaning a fifth section); how much will they try and "insist" on sterilisation.
That the stuff you mean?

ShrinkingViolet Mon 21-Jul-08 13:22:32

sorry about typing btw - fingers faster than keyboard

cheesesarnie Mon 21-Jul-08 13:23:49

thats the kind of stuff yes and questions about the risks.i know what i want to say just not how to say!
im not worried about how the scar looks on outside,and this willbe the last(if i had a 4th)

cheesesarnie Mon 21-Jul-08 20:54:25

gp appointment didnt go wellsad

Megglevache Mon 21-Jul-08 20:56:50

Oh dear why not?

BoysAreLikeDogs Mon 21-Jul-08 20:59:08

CS ?

What's happened?

BoysAreLikeDogs Mon 21-Jul-08 21:31:50

[worried]

cheesesarnie Mon 21-Jul-08 21:35:37

sorry went to do something.
basically gp showed me letter consultant had sent him following our previous visit to consultant.it says complete opposite to what he told us(he said so long as aware of risks was ok to go ahead and that 3 cs and no more rule was old school etc).letter says-
'she has had 3 previous cs 6 years,5 years and 13 months respectively.
she requested to know about having more babies following 3 cs despite the fact that she had accidental bladder injury during her last cs 13 months ago.
i discussed the risks associated with multiple cs emphasising the potential for uterine rupture which varies from between 0.2% to 1.5% depending on which studies you look at.i also mentioned the fact that 10% of all uterine rupture cases require cs hysterectomy.we also discussed the issues surrounding perinatal mortality resulting from uterine rupture and the rare incidents of maternal mortality as well.a considerable length of time was spent discussing morbidity including injury to bladder,injury to bowel which may necessatate a stoma,fibrile morbidity,blood transfusion,thrombo-embolic complications and finally theslightly increased risk associated with placenta previa and accreta.
i am rather convinced that i have not been able to dissuade the couple despite the gloomy picture painted with risk of morbity and the rare one of mortality.'

so thats it.all oversad

BoysAreLikeDogs Mon 21-Jul-08 21:38:21

Aw CS, I am so sorry sad

It's one thing to decide when your family is complete, but to have that decision taken by somebody else .... that's hard.

windygalestoday Mon 21-Jul-08 21:39:52

ive had 3 c sections and i know its awful but it does put a lot of strain on your body and sometimes you just hve to be thankful for what you have and appreciate your own health-i would dearly love nother baby and feel very sad by the thought it was somehow my own inability to give birth 'normally' that has ended me dding to my family.

the more i know im not having any more babies the more i long to do it.

cheesesarnie Mon 21-Jul-08 21:43:25

thanks.i know its the right thing,its just sad.and i know how very very lucky i am to have the 3 beutiful children that i have.

windygalestoday Mon 21-Jul-08 21:45:34

me too cheese sarnie it doesnt make it any better though does it?

BoysAreLikeDogs Mon 21-Jul-08 21:48:57

sad for you both

windygalestoday Mon 21-Jul-08 21:51:35

im v broody i love children and it doesnt help that people keep saying when you having the next one?

my hearts big enough for more childrensad

windygalestoday Mon 21-Jul-08 21:53:00

sarnie what are you doing for contraception?

im on the pill but my periods are sometimes v irregular my gp doesnt seem to be bothered about this- i bet hed get all arsey if i turned up pregnant

fishie Mon 21-Jul-08 21:58:26

cheesesarnie i know less than nothing about this, but cannot let what your consultant and gp are saying go without comment.

the way this is presented is that they look at various studies and in worst case is 1.5% max risk of uterine ruption. so 98.5% didn't.

10% of the 1.5% risk mortality, hysterectomy, morbidity etc. not 10% of all.

it is a smaller risk in those terms. in your shoes i'd be asking them how they propose managing your oncoming pregnancy rather that letting them make your mind up for you.

cheesesarnie Mon 21-Jul-08 22:05:59

windygalestodaysad for you too.
fishie.thankyou,im going to have to re read tomorrow,nothings making sense atm.
gp just said things like i could give birth at 24 weeks,leave dh with 3 children plus poorly baby etc etc.not even worth thinking about.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now