Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Dd's skin on her bottom has started bleeding, anything else I can do?

(23 Posts)
LookattheLottie Sun 20-Jul-08 19:24:23

Basically she's had a dirty nappy during the night time for the past 3 nights in a row. I'm very good at changing her regularly and never leave her with a dirty nappy on. But she's been filling her nappy at night whilst we're all in bed, so when I wake up she instantly needs changed. Though, as you can imagine it's dried and badly irritated her poor skin for hours until she wakes.

I always check in on her before I go to sleep and if I know she's dirty I will wake her up for a change.

Now though her bottom is extremely red and bumpy, and the skin has now started cracking and bleeding. I feel awful! It's obviously hurting her to sit down etc. It's not being helped by the fact that she keeps having several dirty nappies a day at the minute. She's been ill recently and off her food, so now she's got her appetite back we're going through lots more nappies!

I'm slabbing the sudocrem on her by the pound and putting detol in her bath with no other products to try and make it slighlty better for her. Is there anything else I can do though? I feel so bad for her!

peggotty Sun 20-Jul-08 19:26:20

Use metanium - much better than sudocrem!

SoupDragon Sun 20-Jul-08 19:26:39

Vaseline seems to do the trick for BabyDragon. I use Metanium sometimes but TBH, vaseline does seem to work a treat.

choufleur Sun 20-Jul-08 19:27:22

leave her nappy off as much as possible. if it gets worse take her to the doctor - you don't want it to get infected

i'm not sure you should put sudocrem on broken skin - have you checked the label? (i haven't got any to look at)

hope it gets better soon.

LIZS Sun 20-Jul-08 19:27:57

could be thrush especially fi she's had ab's. If metanium doesn't work then ask gp /hv for an anti fungal cream.

kid Sun 20-Jul-08 19:27:57

I found that vaseline was the best thing for nappy rash, although you might need some form of antibiotic cream to clear it up quickly. Could you take her to the Drs?

I remember DD telling me when she was little that the sudocream hurt when I used that on open sores, so I stopped using it.

LookattheLottie Sun 20-Jul-08 19:28:55

Thanks, where can I get metanium - just from a chemist? How much is it?

Nemoandthefishes Sun 20-Jul-08 19:31:37

Happens to the best of us
I use metanium from chemists or asda and sometimes put sudocrem on top of it if its really bad

kid Sun 20-Jul-08 19:31:48

Boots sell it for £3.56 for 30g but its available cheaper online.

NorthernLurker Sun 20-Jul-08 19:32:50

I use Bepanthan and it's very good or Kammilosan is good as well

LookattheLottie Sun 20-Jul-08 19:33:37

Well she wont let me wipe her as it's hurting her, I've stopped using wipes and gone for cotton wool and warm water, but it's still sore for her. It looks so painful, I feel so s**t for her and totally to blame! She's never had this before.

The doctors where I live are pretty good, the minute you tell them your child is ill/there's a problem a Dr calls you within 5 minutes to see what the problem is. They always make room for an appt if your child is sick.

Oh god, will it get infected? Should I buy this other cream first or just take her to the Dr's tomorrow instead?

kid Sun 20-Jul-08 19:36:29

Just take her to the drs I think. If all it requires is the metanium, you can either get the prescription or buy it yourself. If you don't go Drs and wait a few more days, you might still have to go anyway if it doesn't start clearing up then she has had to suffer for longer.
Its not your fault, you weren't to know and at least you are doing what you can to help her now.

LookattheLottie Sun 20-Jul-08 19:41:46

Ok thanks everyone!

Will ring the Dr's tomorrow and see what they say. Thanks for the quick responses. I don't often freak out but when her skin started bleeding I felt so terrible.

She's in a happy mood but gets a bit grumpy/upset when getting changed or sitting down, totally understanderble. Poor mite.

bellavita Sun 20-Jul-08 19:42:46

How about trying to get as much off her bottom as you can without it hurting her and then sitting her in a bath with some tepid water to soak the rest off?

PestoMonster Sun 20-Jul-08 19:56:13

This was told to me by my Health Visitor, many moons ago.

Apparently the very best thing to do is to leave nappy off, paint the sore bits with egg white (leave till dry) and it will heal. Keep repeating as necessary.

My health visitor told me, that since the salmonella scare they are no longer able to advise this officially, but trust me (I was desperate), it works!!!!

smile

whizz Sun 20-Jul-08 20:17:23

Nappy off as much as poss & stop the dettol (way too strong & could be irritant)
Green Baby do really good non-petroleum (unlike vaseline) bot cream, as do Neal's yard (our partic fave). Sadly happens to most bottoms at some time.
Oh, def agree worth doc taking a look.

mavornia Sun 20-Jul-08 20:18:17

My son had a sore bottom like this a few months ago - I was demented.

Metanium worked wonderfully well and I bathed him with cooled chamomile tea using cotton wool.

For day to day use I prefer Bepanthen to Sudocrem but when they have a bad rash nothing beats Metanium

Flllight Sun 20-Jul-08 20:22:06

Nappy off as much as possible, and EGG WHITE. It works, really it does.

There are several converts on here. When ds2's botty was raw nothing else made it heal over, and egg white did.

Whisk it up if you have time, if not it should still work. Clean with cotton wool and water, no alcohol wipes etc at all. Then pat it dry, then put on a layer of raw egg white with your fingers.

Leave nappy off if you can.

Once broken skin has healed, use metanium or thick zinc znc castor oil cream every time after cleaning, as a barrier. This will stop the poo getting to the skin next time it happens.

I should add that the GP, HV and so on all prescribed different modern creams and I tried everything, sudo, metanium, everything I tell you...it went on for a whole week not getting better. Egg white for a couple of days and it started to heal. smile

windygalestoday Sun 20-Jul-08 20:22:34

metanium is the way to go imo

PestoMonster Mon 21-Jul-08 11:49:06

Egg whites heal when Metanium isn't working. Plus, they don't contain any chemicals either, so non-irritant.

neolara Mon 21-Jul-08 13:36:13

Another vote for bepanthem here. Sudacreme was hopeless.

EffiePerine Mon 21-Jul-08 13:37:37

Ds has this and it was thrush - canestan cleared it up (along with nappy free time and metanium in between canestan)

leave off the dettol <wince>

LookattheLottie Tue 22-Jul-08 21:13:06

Hello.

Just to say that when dd woke on Monday it had cleared up loads soI didn't ring the doctors as what I was doing seemed to be working really well. I was shock at how much better it was.

It's still a bit red tonight but is looking ten times better. The sudocrem's been workin a treat, I've just been slabbing it on. Nappy changes every 1-2 hours with periods of leaving nappy off. Then a bath after every dirty nappy and her bath at night. Have been putting a tiny bit of detol in the water, it doesn't appear to have been an irritant for her at all, and appears to have really helped keep it clean.

Thanks everyone smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now